Should Liverpool play CL next season?

limbo

chocolat steve said:
bibblies said:

Chocosteve - I heard one way being considered is to give Liverpool an automatic spot and make 2nd placed Arsenal do the qualifying rounds! :D

Show UEFA the Arsenal v. Liverpool game a few weeks ago and then ask them if they think Arsenal should have to go to qualifying and not LFC. ::

Show UEFA Arsenal's record in the Champions League and ask them if it's worth Arsenal even entering!

May as well give Arse's place to Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest - they've got a better non-choke rate. ::

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Belem,

It's not a matter wether they perform or not in Europe. I've seen plenty of clubs, on Uefa Cup level and CL level that had nothing to do there, IMHO and where sent packing.

However, Everton deserved this spot (well, they have to qualify first in some play offs, don't they) so no need to take their spot away.

First flame...lol...if the FA only let clubs that can do something in the CL then why should clubs fight for the top 4? Man Yoo finished 2nd the prior year before they won the CL, what if their spot had been given to someone who the FA thought could make it?

Bibblies, I'll have to take you at your word whether the incidents you sited are those that UEFA changed a rule after the fact. If they did it makes a mockery of any rule. Why encourage more of it? If UEFA does do that I've lost any confidence in the fairness of football then. This is a stretch and an over the top statement, but if we back the UEFA if it makes a change after the fact then why not back our own governments from doing that? If the government needs extra money why not go back and say you owe more for last year. And you say, I paid what you said, 30%. And they say, yes, but we need another 5 percent in arrears from every one.

It wasn't like Liverpool didn't know what was needed for them to defend their title. They knew and every club knows that they need to finish 4th or better.

There is a way out of it for this year. As I've said, there is a Welsh club that is in the qualifiers that are willing to play Liverpool in a one off. It harms no one and the club it 'harms' does so voluntarily and without pressure. I'd even be willing to add a club to the CL and Liverpool play that club as an extra game in the qualifiers. Anything else is wrong. I want to see Liverpool defend their title. I think its a shame. I really do. But they knew the rules going in. (I need help off my high horse...Bibblies or lazyphil can you help? haha).

I would be curious to see if UEFA makes a rule change before next season or just washes their hands of the whole thing. If a club gets knocked out or a club has to go to qualifying instead of group stages, I personally will lose all respect for the sport and won't defend it to Americans here who think I'm crazy for following it. At least the sports here have rules and the 'rule of law' so to speak and as much as I'd love for it to catch on here, if its going to be run like the 'old west' here, and make up laws as they go along and laws of convenience then I'd rather it not catch on here.

chocolat steve said:

If a club gets knocked out or a club has to go to qualifying instead of group stages, I personally will lose all respect for the sport and won't defend it to Americans here who think I'm crazy for following it. At least the sports here have rules and the 'rule of law' so to speak and as much as I'd love for it to catch on here, if its going to be run like the 'old west' here, and make up laws as they go along and laws of convenience then I'd rather it not catch on here.

We'd rather it didn't catch on with your lot either. ::

That reminds me of a funny TV advert Budweiser have been running at half-time in Britain this season. Go to http://www.budweiser.co.uk and choose a year to 'prove' you're over 18 so you can get in. Then on the green nav bar towards the bottom of the screen, click on "True Fun." On the righthand side of the True Fun screen, you'll see three "Other Commercials." Click on the commercial on the far right ("Soccertainment") and play. (Trust me, you'll love it! :) )

Robbie where have you been?

"...they only post when their winning...they only post when they're winning..." (to the tune of juantanemera). hahaha....

I have another thing to add to the Liverpool debate. The other 4 clubs stand to lose as much as 5 mil pounds from the England pot of money for the CL. I want to add that if Liverpool enter it, they should not be elgible for that pot of money. Gate receipts, fine, but why penalize the other 4 clubs from money they would have gotten otherwise?

LFC qualified for the UEFA cup, that money is available. If you want to play with the big boys, it shouldn't be at our expense financially as well as qualifying rounds.

I heard a rumor that Chelsea have a 65 mil pound bid for Adriano. We're supposedly after Brazilian whiz kid, 20 y.o. Robinho, who plays for Pele's former club Santos.

Buck, the 'chairman' of Chelsea is blaming the victim after the 'Cole-gate' affair. He said we unsettled our own player. So? And that means its okay to break the rules and meet up with him?

Hi!

As the UEFA president is Swedish this has been a rather big thing in Swedish media. The president's view is that LFC should be allowed to defend their title (I completely agree with this). My guess is that they will do something with the qualifying rounds as it would look very bad if they kicked a team out that was already qualified

regards

ALHOLK

Of course the champs should be able to defend their title, but why the FUCK where the rules changed by the IDIOTS of the uefa?

Couldn't they see such situation coming???

Bunch of dumbasses should be replaced by a group who have some knowledge about the sport and everything associated to it.

Maybe a few guys on this very board. :)

Archived