NBA Finals: Detroit v. San Antonio

Steve

Is Bada Bing the only one that cares about this? I was hoping Miami would make the finals. Both clubs have the best defense in the league which translates to a low scoring series.

I don't care about either team. But must say I'd rather not see San Antonio win it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginobli reminds me of the Argentinian National soccer teams I used to watch in the late 80's and early 90's. The teams with and right after Diego Maradona. They were immensely skilled, showed a ton of flair, but dammit if they weren't the floppingest, dirtiest team on the planet. They could have won just by playing, but they HAD to cheat constantly. Every time they got into the penalty box, instead of actually trying to score a goal, they waited until a defender got close to them, then flung themselves into the guy jumped to the ground and began rolling around like they had been shot. It was very unsportsmanlike, and basically turned the world against them. In the 1990 World Cup, they were booed heavily everytime they were on the field.

I see a lot of that style of play in Ginobli, and while he can ball, it truly diminishes my respect for him. The fact that NBA refs are so stupid as to fall for his crap is even more annoying. Watch the replays guys, he is flopping and walking every time. Look for it in the future.

The good thing about soccer is that their is actually a rule that says if you are trying to "trick" the referee by flopping, he can yellow card you. If you do it again, he can red card you. And it's completely at the descretion of the ref. I've seen them do it before. I think the NBA needs a similiar rule. If a player tries to trick the ref by flopping, he can call a technical. That might cut out some of this crap.

Bruce Bowen is the single dirtiest player in the NBA. He basically punches you to defend you.

Hey, don't forget about me! I am a Dee-troit boy too.

Ya, the Pistons got smoked by Ginobali in the second half of game 1. But I am still a believer.

If anyone in interested, barring any need to deal with customers, I will be at silver Dollar in Washington Square watching the games live -- 0800 start time. Join if you like.

Cheers,

SD

Bill Laimbeer was the dirtiest of all time though. Pistons have a horrible record in San Antonio but I think they'll give Spurs all they can handle in this series.

I agree that the league should start looking at faking fouls. Its hard though. A guy is guarding someone and holds his ground and its a possible offensive foul case and he exagerates the contact. Is that a technical? Right the referee simply ignores it if he doesn't think its a foul.

The ascent of foreign players (Ginobili and others) is great for basketball. I know some Americans want only the Americans to be great but if the sport is going to global, other countries will have to have great players. Hopefully a truly international league can be set up or a world cup for basketball (which the Olympics are in a way). The game has changed in the states though, for the worst in my opinion. For one its too long. B-ball games used to be 2 hours tops unless there is OT. Now the NBA games are regularly 2.5 hours and playoffs are 3 hours and finals 3 hours plus. Too many breaks and commercials. The season has gotten too long. It used to end in May, now if it goes 7 games its going damn near July!! Its starting earlier and ending later and like other sports here are almost year round.

Me thinks the Peeeeestuns are toast , dem Spurs are killing them on the offence , they can't compete , i'll give them 1 and Done !! Fuck me i'm suppose to be watching the Wings hoisting another Cup bout now.... :banghead: Oh well , just have to wait for the MCK's for my next dose of heartburn.... :onfire:

Bada :beer: Bing

2-1 Spurs, Detroit needs to win all 3 home games. They lose one and its over. They go back to SA with Spurs with 3 wins and I doubt it very seriously they can win 2 games in SA.

Bada Bing, can the '8 mile boys' do it?

Archived