NBA Finals: Detroit v. San Antonio

Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to bring soccer into this but I can't cheer for any team called Spurs (BadaBing, Arsenal's rival is called Spurs btw).

Can Detroit win back to back games in SA? If Detroit wins, is this team better than the 'bad boys of the early '90s?

BadaBing said:

THE PISTONS WILL WIN GAME 7 !!!!!

Bada :yay::chili::yay::chili::relieved: Bing

Well , after a hour and a 1/2 of standing on my balcony contemplating the " jump " I suddenly remembered that I have a July 1 flight to Bangkok :grinyes: , so , screw the Peestun's , I'm going to Bangers to have some FUN.... :yay: , usual suspects , look for PM's.... :stirthepo

Bada :beer: Bing

A key adjsutment made by Popovich was assigning Bowen to defend Billups at crunch time.....Billups has been an assassin.....not last night!!!! I was surprised Popovich did not make this switch at all in Game 6, and Billups killed them. Last night Billups only took 8 shots and made only 3 of those - easily the worst offensive game ever in the playoffs for him. What annoyed me was that the switch left Parker guarding Hamilton a lot of the time, and Rip did not take advantage of it.

At one point the announcers of game 7 noted that the officials were calling the game close (actually more descriptive although I don't recall the exact words. But, the announcers did say that the officials were not allowing certain defensive actions and it was up to the teams to adjust.

Well, I know this isn't a perfect world. But, I wish it were. I wish the rules would be the rules and the officials would just enforce the rules. But, the fact is life isn't so simple and we have officials dictating play by deciding tonight we won't allow this or will allow that. Anyway, in the 3rd quarter of game 7, the 2 Detroit guys capable of guarding Duncan, who hadn't been doing much for a couple of games (Rasheed Wallace and MdDycee (spelling?) were on the bench with 4 fouls. So, Duncan scored almost at will, got untracted, San Antonio got back into control when it looked like Detroit was going to run away and the rest was history.

In short, I thought the game was bullshit and was dictated by the officials. For me, Detroit was the superior team and was headed for victory. But, the officials put saved San Antonio in the 3rd quarter and gave them momentum and the rest was history.

Whenever I hear the officials are doing this or doing that, I think it is bullshit. They are taking over control of the game and the teams are secondary.

Pay hugely talented basketball players millions and millions of $ and then let some piss ant officials decide the outcome. Pure bullshit if you ask me.

And while I am at it, all the Larry Brown bullshit pisses me off as well. Rich Carlyle (spelling?) had the Pistons over 50 victories in the season before Brown showed up. I think he would have done as well or better than Brown. Dumars did a great job in putting the team together but I could never understand why he got rid of Carlyle and brought in Brown.

Lastly, on a different subject, Phil Jackson who had great success with the MJ and crew (who wouldn't have) and LA, with Kobe and Shaq, (who wouldn't have) will retire as a failure with a "normal" team within 2 years. He has never demonstrated the ability to do anything than glide to a championship with a superior team and he never will. Enjoy the money Phil, its frustration and failure for you.

Well, as far as the officiating, I agree 100%. I just did not say anything lest it be thought of as sour grapes. Several instances of travelling, etc not called as well. I stopped watching NBA years ago for this reason and only watched the Finals because Detroit was in it. I'll now go back to ignoring basketball because I agree that conciously or not, the refs do often decide the game.

I do not know about the Rick Carlyle (sp?) thing, tho'. I think there is a LOT to be said for Larry Brown's coaching, especially in his making a head case like Rasheed a productive player. But Joe D did put together a heck of a team with no superstars. That is what team sports is all about and a pleasure to watch (although San Antonio is almost as good in that respect -- you cannot dislike Duncan).

And of course, being from Detroit, I have no sympathy for that whiney pussy Jackson and agree that he is a crap coach.

Cheers,

SD

I hope that you are right about Phil Jackson. I don't want him to break Red Arbauch's (sp) record for championships (as of now, they are tied). Since Jackson and Kobe have kissed and made up, will the same be true of Jackson and Buss's daughter?

Archived