Cookbook recommendations?

mongatu

The cookbook "Thailand the beautiful cookbook" is pretty good. Names of dishes written in Thai, but not the recipies. The one or 2 I have seen written in both languages, had very poor translations to English concerning the prep and assembly directions. If you go with "Thailand the beautiful cookbook," I suggest the paper back version (if you can find it)cheaper and also easierto handle, and more durable...

I've had very good luck finding recipes for my favorite thai foods on the internet.

Its interesting to compair info on the same dishes, and deciding which one to try.

Yes that is right, English & Thai. My Thai friend has been cooking for me lately which has been great. Although she is very very good at making many basic Thai dishes, I was thinking it might be fun to try to stimulate her culinary imagination and at the same time get something I could learn from by cooking along with her, hence the need for both languages, if that makes any sense.

I have seen these cookbooks before. I have seen many Chinese cookbooks like this as well. As I recall, I have seen them At supermarket book areas, maybe try there...or maybe your friend knows where to find one?

There is a book store in MBK that sells books in both English and Thai...hell if I remember where...Not sure Emporium has one as well? Anyone?

mongatu said:

I am looking for a good Thai food cookbook available in Thailand with recipes written in both English & Thai. Any recommendations?

My (and wifey's) favourite is Cooking Thai Food in American Kitchens by Malulee Pinsuvana

cookingthaifood1.jpg

because the book is written in both Thai and English and gives good recommendations on substituting ingredients that are hard to find in the West. There are three editions, as well as on that has recepies for neighboring countries (noted by the addition of "now with ASEAN recepies" to the title).

I have seen this book here at Asia Books. It is 1/2 A4 size, spiral bound.

Another most excellent one is the whimsical It Rains Fishes: Legends, Traditions and the Joys of Thai Cooking by Kasma Loha-Unchit

0876543565.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not a ton of recepies, but well written with lots of childhood memories and folklore surrounding the names and ingredients of various dishes. Good fun.

Cheers,

SD

Archived