Dress for Success or as Tourist?

Pat_from_Jersey

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

I like to wear shorts in bkk, its a statement to hiso Thais who think they have really white skin (but insist on good attire to show wealth and status etc), like hey, mr , this is what i call white skin buster you darky, you cant get skin as pasty as me even out of a bottle. However nowadays I'm resrticted to trousers/jeans in bkk by the Mrs, bloody kill joy!

the greatest fun (not really) is to come to BKK from Pattaya on a day outing in shorts and thongs, and ride the skytrain as if you were going to the beach, or for me, buy a croissant for my breakfast (while the GF is cooking 2 eggs :))!

On a few days outing, better dress up a bit. Chicks everywhere like a well dressed man, especially if you stray away from the nightlife pick-ups. This, plus the exotic white of your skin, is a good jumpstart in many situations in Thailand, not just flirting.

IMO

HI Pat,

At the end of the day you can wear almost anything. Nobody really can stop you. It jsut depends what you really feel comfortable in and what impression you want to make on people.

I like to get cleaned up,shaved etc and go out in a pair of jeans and a shirt that I feel good in. I usually wear footwear,ie not sandals,not trainers. I don t know thename fr the style of shoe,not formal. Alittle bit like Converse or some other canvas type material.

I feel good like this cos I am not dressed like a ponse,trying to over do it, and at the same time,I am clean,fresh and wearing clothes that are casual and acceptable without making a big effort.

A half decent shirt with jeans goealong way in my book.

I had a friend who visited me in bangkok. This guy really doesn t give a fuck about how he dresses. bearing in mind he had came from a six month trip to uganda,malawi,ethiopia etc he went roger mooring(whoring) while unshaven,wearing army combat shorts that he had ripped in half by himself and he walked around with big dirty feet in a pair of cheap,cheap sandals. Needless to say the drinks he bought and the money he spent on the TGs was accepted just the same as the guy in the shirt and tie.

Just dress as you feel.

Dress for success in which context?

Beer bars and the like? They probably couldn`t care less as long as the clothes you wear are clean and decent looking and your wallet is too.

I never wear anything but shorts, t-shirts/polo-shirts and sandals while in thailand unless I have official business and so does the missus. And these days shorts are so long that they usually reach the knee at least.

I cannot be bothered to dress up with longsleeved shirt/trouses, shoes, socks etc... in a steaming hot enviroment.

If I were to go to places with AC I`d gladly do it though especially since many AC places tend to overdo it, but then again I am not going there anyway.

Sweat like a pig to please who? Not this guy.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Shorts at night isn't really stylish.

No need to have a button down, a nice T-shirt or sports shirt is fine.

The Thais are very non-confrontational so whatever you wear will be fine (unless you are going to Q-bar where flip flops and shorts won't cut it). With the girls (pros)... yes, the wallet is usually where it is at, but it helps to start off with a good impression and being somewhat presentable helps.

If you do go to the nightlife areas and girls try to latch on to you, don't hesitate and don't feel bad to say, "no, no, no, no for the fourth time, PLEASE go away" :) Just be nice about it :)

<<burp>>

In open air Beer Bars at night I like to wear long trousers and socks, just to keep the mosquitos (and occassional other stuff) from eating my feet. In practice this means I am wearing the same all the time, because quite often my "one quick drink" at lunch time turns into a session till they close. (My liver is very happy about the NSO ::).

This could of course just be me that the mozzies seem to like so much. ::

T-shirts / short sleave shirts with collars and trousers / jeans would be a pretty safe bet, but really whatever you want and are comfortable in for a holiday. T-shirt and shorts is quite OK for the P4P scene.

IME it's your willingness to spend a few Baht and whether you are nice enough bloke to the Gals that makes the difference.

Clean clothes also helps :o Even if you end up dripping in sweat head to foot and therefore smelling like a buffalo's armpit :D :D :D Figure on a change of Shirt at least once a day.

Dress for the venue you are going to and you should be okay. Use common sense. Don't expect to get into high end BKK clubs or other venues wearing trekking or beachwear.

Always amazes me how many farang expect to get into certain BKK venues looking grubby as if they just rolled off of a beach in Pattaya and then having the audacity to get indignant and upset because they are left standing in the queue; thinking that they should have access because they have some baht to spend.

Plenty of places to go for the grubby looking farang.

Wake up fellas BKK does have a cosmopolitan side to it although it is nascent.

Archived