Hi-So and top end places - whats the deal ?

torrenova

Just following on from a comment in another thread. What is the deal with these places and where do they fit into the P4P scene, if at all ?

OK, I suspect that they have a dress code and all the wannabes head there looking for another rich wannabe. The youth of Thai society has to go somewhere but where do the westerners fit in ? Are we accepted or would any attempt at creating a liaison with a Thai girl potentially cause friction ?

Is there a P4P scene or are we looking at middle class and upwards Thais ?

Not sure I'd ever be interested but having never been, I would like additional information, especially as I now live in LOS.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like anything else, it probably depends on the venue, and the people involved. Most of the guys I know who met "Hi so" Thai girls usually did so through work, or by introduction, don't know any who met them in clubs, though I am sure it has happened.

As for P4P, I would think not so much in a Thai venue/night club. I would think that most of Thai style P4P goes in in Massage parlors, or with their Mia Nois...also of course in theThai gogos etc...

What do u mean by Hi-so? I know of events and parties that the Hi-so attend but that is more for business, networking, promotional and marketing reasons. Look at the daily papers and you will see the pictures from those events.

Other than that I don't know of any "hi-so only" venues that operate on a daily basis. You could say that Chuwits' sex palaces catered to those hi-so but to be quite honest that was for anyone with money to spend, even farang. The important people pulled up in Mercedes to the private entrances.

As far as clubs and bars go you may see those hi-so you mention there during the opening night or for invite only parties. Personally I don't consider nouvea riche and the latest flavor model/pop singer/actress to be hi-so.

There are private golf clubs and such that cater to the hi-so Thais that you won't see unless on a personal invite.

I find that most farang would consider a college educated,well dressed middle class Thai with a new car or minor government official to be hi-so but in truth they are not.

Bottom line is unless your a prominent farang in the business community, sponsored by important Thais,married into a well connected family or you buy your way into those daily charity/ social events you won't get a sniff of the Thai hi-so world. Most of what you see is social climbing middle class Thais.

I have been to a few weddings, fashion shows and charity events with my hi-so "Thai aunts" and I can tell you that the shit is boring and nothing more than a networking gossipping function. What I noticed at these events is that as always it is the Thai women who run the shit, men are like fixtures. The women are the ones who really seem to control the social networks, really quite amazing.

"The women are the ones who really seem to control the social networks, really quite amazing. "

Agreed JJ in fact I feel the women control most of everything!

They

certainly they have their hands on the family purse strings,social affairs,and also select and promote mates for their children.

From my experience I have found that most of the extremely high end business men /govenrment folks( including you know who) have private recruiters for their

moments of pleasure.This is certainly the case with my best friend. The concept of them being seen in public is abhorrent to them.In many of the high end members clubs some have suites reserved for them and ongoing "corporate accounts"

These suites have large wading pools with mostly the white skinned CM type of girls. :) :) :) Very nice... :)

BKK middle class social climbing Thais are the ones to be predominantly found at Bed,the Thong Lor clubs The Glass Houses. The really rich ones party on and on with Daddys money. I have found most of them pretty obnoxious.In love with their own images and looking for a better Mr Good bar..

Like anywhere really there is an entire smorgasboard of people. :)

Its all introduction at the high levels.If so and so introduces you well then you are stamped ok and his "face"is attached to yours..so you cannot EVER behave poorly...If he introduces you he may say this is my close friend..pheun sanit...or he speaks Thai to give you major face...

Its all pretty interesting :)alittle workld with a ballet of movements and people just like every strata of Thai society.

Your description of who frequents what venue is probably correct. But I actually prefer the middle class Thais over what you describe as the hi-sos of Thai society, even the social climbers. They are the economic backbone of Thailand's prosperity and are largely responsible for the democractic reforms - admittedly, now problematic - that Thailand enjoys.

They are educated, increasingly independant and rapidly becoming the opposition to you-know-who. Perhaps some are occassionally snobs or boors, but the same is true of any striving middle class anywhere. And it is precisely the striving nature of middle classes everywhere that make them so valuable to economic development. I am a farang, and I strive every day and appreciate and sympathize with others that do the same; I am not rich enough not to do otherwise.

Agreed I generally really dont care for most of the hisos myself.

Interestingly enough the small group of Thai friends I have were born into the high end structure but are, amazingly,really lovely people. -HOnest down to earth and they work simply to have something to do. Sometimes the filthy rich are ok too...but generally not ::

johnnyk said:

It must really gall the hi-so crowd (in any society) that they have to take a shit and wipe their ass the same as the lo-sos.

Actually, from What I gather, when you get really hi up, you take a dump, and someone is right there to kiss your ass in hopes it gets them something...

"...I have been to a few weddings, fashion shows and charity events with my hi-so "Thai aunts" and I can tell you that the shit is boring and nothing more than a networking gossipping function..."

JJ,

Not picking on you here, but you seem to know, so I'll ask...I have been told by someone who is very well connected to high government officials and banking people, that these "HiSos" really don't like to mingle with farangs. True, they may do it for business purposes, but really hate doing so, and certainly wouldn't want their children to marry a farang, no matter his status, hence, introductions and such might be out. Your comments please?

As I said, I did now one guy who married a very wealthy girl from BKK, supposedly "HiSo" he met her through work here in the states. She herself has stated that her parents and their social circle consider it a step down, and somewhat of an embarrassment. He is from a very well known USA family, has tons of inherited/trust fund old money, is educated etc...she said her family went along with it because they feared a bigger loss of face should she have defied them and married him anyway, hence they gave an appearence of going along, and a big austencious wedding etc...She said her family does not like him/her attending Thai social/hi society functions together...again, your comments/observations...?

Archived