the new Football Season-2005/2006

sayjann

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sayjann, I recall your telling the story and i agree the term was used for soton. All I'm saying is that I've heard it used for non Soton clubs. If so, how did I first hear of it then? Certainly not from a Pompey supporter referring to Southampton. The term has now been used elsewhere. Not that all supporters of all clubs use it, but that some have adopted. This isn't the encyclopedia brittanica but--

Urban Dictionary:

This term originates from the rivalry between Portsmouth and Southampton. Other football teams have now adopted the term to refer to fans and residents of their rival city.

The term originates back in history with the Portsmouth and Southampton docks. There was a strike, and Portsmouth agreed with Southampton to close both ports to improve conditions and pay for the workers. However, the Southampton port secretly opened whilst Portsmouth was striking, and took all of the trade. Portsmouth workers then referred to the workers as 'Scum', which soon evolved to 'Scummer'.

The choice of the word 'Scum' is specific, as it is an acronym of the Southampton Port workers Union at the time, ''Southampton Community Union Members*''

sayjann said:

but i have talked about the 'scum' calling to People i work with and they all say the same.

i work with People born in Glasgow,Liverpool,Bristol,Manchester,Newcastle,London and they all say the same.

they do not use the word scum against there local rivals.

they all agreed that as far as they knew,the word scum (scummer) only applies to Pompey/So'ton.

Well to me Everton would be the Bitters

The Scum would be United or more likely the Sun (newspaper)

chocolat steve said:

I recalled others using that term on here as well for things other than soton. Here's a sample just from a word search. They're gooners by the way...hehehe:

Post # 380088 by Kman 30/12/2004

"Bring on the SCUM. Looking forward to the game. 10 Race Day at Shatin follwoed by ale and a match at 1.30 am..NICE."

Now this confused me, not that it takes much nor that I have never been know to refer to Spurs as scum. What did was I haven't been to Shatin for well over 10 years, so I had to do a bit of investigation.

Seems the post was made by Baht Man and he was actually referring to the Mancs.

Myself, I usually refer to Spurs by a different term which for the benefit of racial harmony I won't mention here.

Much as it galls to agree with a Manc :o, I do side with Sayjann here in as usually when someone is talking about scum they are talking about Southampton. That however might have something to do with the fact that i used to drink in the UK with quite a few Pompey supporters and there is also one on my compound here who is forever going on about the Scum.

Nice explaination tho' Steve..

Although I was given a different take on it by the lads I drank with. They reckoned it was to do with Pompey being a Royal Navy port and Southampton being Merchant Navy ... Scum floats on water .. I dunno .. Sayjan you heard that one ??

Cheers

K.

chocolat steve said:

question for chelseafan or anyone else who wants to answer it. Why hasn't G14 made any indication to solicit Chelski for membership? As it stands their credentials were better than Arsenal's when we were invited to join. Borussia Dortmund, a member, may drop out soon due to financial reasons.

I think I know why, but will hold my thoughts. ::

As far as I can remember it was the other teams who didn't want us in it....in particular arsenal.

Well I lost a fiver today as I bet Chelsea woulnd't concede a goal. Still not really bothered, "the scum" lost to blackburn and the other "scum" draw with West Ham, happy days for me at the moment.

Plus I got 6 goals in the telelgraph fantasy football at work....today I feel fantastic :D

Could the title be wrapped up by January I wonder ?

Archived