Why Don't Most Thais See The Big Picture?

MooNoi

[color:"blue"]That is why i find thais are incredible about describing and remembering the smallest details of one particular tree in the forest, but seem clueless about the condition of the overall forest and how it fits into the bigger environment....It drives me crazy....

[/color]

Me too. I cannot take Thailand more than a few weeks at a time, and I am a born Thai. ::

Jasmine

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very simple answer here and I draw upon my anthropology background...Tropical people's can never really see the big picture because they never had to plan for survival during a winter...they could walk home and get dinner off the trees...aside from Singapore (and that was due to one man's amazing vision) name a non-third world country that is in the tropics?? Can't do it can you...

GS

U should define third world, I guess a bunch of economists are gonna jump up to you. Might be better off to talk about develloping country.

Anyway Malaysia seems abit above the lot. Brunei for sure but it's small managable oil rich country.

What about Uruguay?

Sure a few more countries going better than others but interesting input about the need for planing.

"3. Bar Girl With Good Offer"

I think she did HIM a favor by turning him down ( in the long run, he would end up with a girl that was not happy, and we all know what a major pain that can be)

: Then why don't they start wearing real helmets? Abide by speed limits? Stop driving drunk?

Change like this has to start with an attitude change in people as well as by the government actually enforcing these laws, not by saying 'well, something needs to be done about it'.

:

maybe buddist "pre destiny theory" they were ment to die or whatever in that situation.

punishment for prev bad life maybe?

:She is living in a fantasy world hoping she will strike it rich someday (as do many Thais, many of them are convinced that one day they *will* win the lottery). Reality though is that for 99% of them that is not ever gonna happen."

I think if it were not for our "fantisies" to keep us going may of us

( thai, falangs, bg, ect) would give up.

"" from the human breast hope does spring eternal""

we all have goals ( realistic as well as fantisy)

@jasmine

I've tried to bring that point across before. The only thing I've been met with by this board is open flames by narrowminded individuals who believe that the only reason a girl would ever work in a bar is strictly for money.

Maybe some of them will listen to what you say, I hope.

Tropical people's can never really see the big picture because they never had to plan for survival during a winter.

---------------------------------------------------------

and the contrary too. look at the expectancy of life in "tropical regions". Even finding food easily does not speak for the strong sense of fatalism generations after generation get, from stubborn diseases ever recurring, like malaria and tons of others. I agree that it would be nice if thais were thinking abit more like 2005, motorbikes are not bicycles, cars are not bullcarts, but the changes are happening real fast, and actually all of us have to deal with this, the way people stay stuck amidst a changing world. in USA, you have a president who wishes to see science challenged by religion in school. Now, that fucking drives me crazy, and mad!

Archived