Why Don't Most Thais See The Big Picture?

MooNoi

I have to agree with HT on #3.

HIGH_THAIED:

"I'm sorry, but had to laugh at above quote. It's based on the outrageous premise that Thai prostitutes are a bunch of impoverished farm girl's, who should be willing to jump at the chance of being the wife of some boring anybody, just to be able to eat, and pay rent. "

khunsanuk:

"And you mean to tell us they are not?"

No, I don't think they are all just farm girls willing to jump at the chance of being anybodys wife. While they do what they do to survive, I think it unfair to discount the possibility that some would rather choose to search for the right person (albeit money or love) instead of just jumping at the first person who says yes.

I find it arrogant to cry when you can't buy a girls love and then complain about it on the boards.

She is in her prime. Why should she give up her best chance to fullfill her dreams? For something that might not even be a guaruntee.

She was offered to be taken out of the buisness and "taken care of".

She still runs the risk of years later, when the guy decides he doesn't want her anymore, of being thrown back out on the curb, this time passed her "use by date".

I think the girl has more of a grip on reality then your friend. You expect her to put full trust in your friend and yet look at your views of Thais.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"My point exactly, KS."

The way I see it you were argueing that the girl *does* see the big picture by passing up on this opportunity. I am arguing the opposite.

So, how can you now tell me that you agree with what I wrote?

The fact that the girl is young doesn't change anything in the fact that she does not see beyond tomorrow. She is living in a fantasy world hoping she will strike it rich someday (as do many Thais, many of them are convinced that one day they *will* win the lottery). Reality though is that for 99% of them that is not ever gonna happen.

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

>>>>>>>>>>>And what do you think they see?

Obviously not their brains potentially splattered all over the road because their 'helmet' is of inferiour quaility.<<<<<<<<,

I was refering to a more 'Global' aspect. You don't think most Thai people think it stupid that so many Thai die in traffic, during holiday? Most are appalled. And the majority think something should be done about it. They are pissed off. Same as anywhere else.

I'll say it again. The Thai people I know, are no more, outraged by what happens in their country, than you or I.

It by no means, makes them stupid. By any measure, KS.

If you're pissed at the system.....then ok. I agree. But is not fair to blame the average Thai.

HT

khunsanuk said:

She is living in a fantasy world hoping she will strike it rich someday (as do many Thais, many of them are convinced that one day they *will* win the lottery). Reality though is that for 99% of them that is not ever gonna happen.

I think you could easily apply this to both sides.

He is living in a fantasy world hoping he will find the perfect BG (as do many Farangs, many of them are convinced that one day they *will* win the lottery). Reality though is that for 99% of them that is not ever gonna happen.

Because the government dose not want them to learn the western way or they might start asking for the same benefits we have in our countries and rules then the government might be voted out and they will have a say. It is better to have them know nothing :censored:

Example 3:

Well, I'll go and say it sounds like a nice offer to the girl.

But there's a lot more than just money and an immediate future. One thing Thais don't seem very good at doing is using their imagination. Like this girl could be using this opportunity to educate herself so she can become independent without having to rely on selling her body if she doesn't want to.

Because they can't see this option they don't even take it into consideration.

Thus she'll turn down this offer as there is no ring. But even more importantly, there is no feeling. I've known/know of situations where the bg (or any girl for that matter) takes up with another even though they've got diddly. Money isn't everything. It's very useful though :)

<<burp>>

Close minded? No! They are just adhearing to their culture, and beliefs. And I really hope they can hang on as long as they can to that. The government wants global acceptance and power, but at what price to the Thai culture?

What you wrote might be reasonable for Thais in Thailand, but that wasn't the scenario -- the scenario was a Thai person *in Malaysia* turning her nose up at *even trying* Malaysian food.

Fortunately my wife is not like that, she likes to try new food and new things... so I know it's not a genetic trait inherent in Thai people at least... :)

Greetings

I totally agree with the 3 points and yes Thailand can be very frustrating for us.

But if I am honnest I would say this.

::

- point 1: motorbike helmets

I remember that a few years ago there was a major problem in Europe with people not wearing helmets.

Now, if they were all wearing (good quality) helmets, would this measure change really something in most accident cases?

I doubt it in regards to the thai way of driving.

Now if they do not mind getting killed in accidents, I do not care

- point 2: Closed Mindedness

Is it particular to thailand?

I do not think so, look to south america or africa etc.... even in some of our western countries there are very big communities living in "cultural autarcy".

Now can we say that the average westerner takes interest into culture or into other cultures?

I am afraid the answer is no, the average westerner has no more culture thant the average thai (and the average thai maybe knows his country's history, the westerner don't)

If you do not believe me look at the stats-economical reports- consumption reports-universities studies etc......

Though, I admit that there are probably far more people in the west who have some interest into cultural things than in the rest of the world.........

About the food in particular, look at the way many people feed themselves in the west, they eat everything no matter if it is chinese-french etc.....

but we are msot of us bastards.

(if this is the correct english word used to describe people born from different origins)

Does thai nationalism play a role in this?

Yes sure but once again they do what they want......I will just find some thais who will appreciate to taste other foods.

- point 3: Bar Girl With Good Offer

I totally disagree with the "tone"

Yes basically it was a "good offer" but I know a girl (P4P) who had a very good offer but she refused as she did not like the guy..........

Now she is married to a far less rich/healthy man but it seems she is totally happy.

Where is the problem for me?

We tend to view things and people in a totally materialistic way.

What was the deal in fact?

This girl is offered a "good" average income to sell her "a**" to one man, did you hear of freedom of choice?

No matter he reasons, she made a choice that suprised the poster.

My 2 satangs

The key information missing in the story about the soi 6 girl is her age.

If she was 30-35 I think she would jump at the offer unless she had serious debts.

If she was 10 years younger then she's not ready/willing to take the first offer as she doesn't know her "best before" date.

I know a soi 6 girl who let a falang take her out of the bar and into his spiffy condo for 6000/month.

She didn't know at the time that she could make 40-50K a month in peak season (5K a month salary and LDs, 2-3 blowies a day and 10+ LTs -she is pretty and very good at her job).

She knows it now, knows what a deal the guy got, and she won't let anything like that happen again.

Hi,

"You don't think most Thai people think it stupid that so many Thai die in traffic, during holiday? Most are appalled. And the majority think something should be done about it. They are pissed off. Same as anywhere else. "

Then why don't they start wearing real helmets? Abide by speed limits? Stop driving drunk?

Change like this has to start with an attitude change in people as well as by the government actually enforcing these laws, not by saying 'well, something needs to be done about it'.

Sanuk!

Archived