Water Quality in Pattaya

drlove

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Straycat said:

As I've heard it, Bangkok tap water is good enough to drink as well (don't know about Pattaya though...).

I've not had a problem in the past drinking Pattaya tap water, but with the current water situation your advised to strain out the miscellaneous foreign chunks before drinking... ::

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"Why on earth would you ever brush you teeth with tap water."

To build up a resistance to it.

I have been using tap water for brushing, as have pretty much all others I know, for as long as I have been living here and have never had a problem.

Sanuk!

KS,

Yep. Exactly what I have done over the years, and never a problem yet. Although if the water looks bad (in that it is not clear -- yellowish, rusty looking, whatever) I will not use it and use either bottled water or mouthwash to rinse with. But yeah, I do believe you need to injest some minute local germs to build up an immunity to the local baddies in your system. And I've done so over a decade and never had a problem.

Cent

p.s. Although I might add I do not "drink" it by the glassful! I drink bottled water.

Hi,

"As I've heard it, Bangkok tap water is good enough to drink as well"

No, it's not. One of my colleagues drank it every day for 2 weeks by accident. Her husband had arrived from Japan and refilled the water bottles for her with tapwater (not knowing any better). He himself drank coke.

After a week she started feeling bad, throwing up often. Things got worse and worse and she finally went to see a doctor. He told her she had a huge amount of different bacteria in many parts of her body. All because of drinking the tap water.

It is fine in small dosages (i.e. brushing teeth), but it is certainly not fit for drinking.

Sanuk!

Which reminds me of the Sukhumvit Crown Hotel on/near Soi 8, 15 years ago. I turned on the tap and out came a good handful of bright red worms. Tubifex I think they were, feed 'em to tropical fish you know. I ran the tap for 20 minutes before I'd brush me teeth.

Cheers

Coss

KS said:

I have been using tap water for brushing, as have pretty much all others I know, for as long as I have been living here and have never had a problem.

I concur - I've adopted this approach in every Asian country that I've visited, reasoning that my body had to be exposed to it sooner or later. If I turned on a tap and it came out 'suspect' (residents of Adelaide will know what I mean ..), I'd reach for the bottled stuff, but that hasnt happened to date.

I understand the concept of exposing oneself to bacteria to build up a tolerance. I certainly feel that I do plenty of that just eating in most places in LOS. But I think that some of you are missing the boat in regards to ingesting quesionable water. One needs to factor in not just bacteria, but virisus, microbes, parasites, and chemical contaminants. I did a bit of looking around on the net, and came across this interesting number. 80% of illness in developing counties (not third world but developing such as LOS) is caused by water. I was really suprised to say the least. I think that most of us from the west are very lucky from the standpoint that we have been spared most of these problems. For me it still makes common sense to avoid any possible problems by simply using bottled water all the time. Just because you have never had problems doesnt mean that you are home free. You could easily be harboring a virus or contaminant that could untimately make you sick, and it could be years from now. In a way it is like saying. I let mosquitos bite me so I will build up a tolerance to malaria. You can go years with no problems but all it takes is just the wrong one and you will get sick. Can you avoid it completly, no. But you can use repellent ect to lower your risk. To me it just makes sense to use common sense. One cannot live in a bubble and risk is just part of life, but mitigating them is nothing to be embarassed about.

Archived