Got Ultimatum from TG

maxal

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can bet she is being influenced by family and friends because Thais will butt into everything they can. Its part of their culture. I would do everything possible to get her away from those influences if you want to keep her.

I've been married to a Thai gal for 5 years now and believe me, the Thai peer pressure is really strong. Thais seem to think that if your married to a Farang then you must have a house, car, large monthly stipend, best of clothes etc or you lose face.

Keeping up with the Jones' is alive and strong in Thailand. I keep my wife close to me in the USA and out of Thailand as much as possible. Other Thais can and will detrimentally influence your girl. Keep fighting the fight, keep her focused on you and her and get permanently together as quick as possible if it is important to you.

L2B

I have not seen or heard anything like that ..

------------------------------

glad to read you guys, but :: with reading this.

I think here, Bgs are heaped with absolutely every flaw a human can have, individual or collective as a designed group. I am sure you did not miss that over the last 5 years.

He is maybe victim of the all or nothing syndrom shown in discussions here, but far from wrong. The very fact that a lot of the social behaviour is strongly centered around not singling oneself out (and saying yes, when one may think no) certainly works in disfavor for a not so strong-minded, still accessible ex-BG, of which there are many. To add to the lack of purposefulness in daily life, so falling back on the sure, tried and well-known.

Also, until a new peer group becomes a new environment, the group/clan mentality still provides for an individual the proper grounds where he/she is expressing him/herself, and finding distraction/refuge from a world they have learnt can be treacherous. That's the way the thais do in their grand majority, and 100% for the type of people we talk about here, so peer pressure is something we can't minimize.

I'll reply to this one because the previous poster who took exception to the statement seems to be more concerned about "cliches" than the reality on the ground in Thailand.

Nope. It isn't about BG or GTG. Its about the Thai Culture mentality that marrying a farang means that a nice house, nice car and family financial problems disappear is an automatic. My wife never has any strange ideas about money/life until after she's been around her friends in Thailand. For example: We visit Thailand once a year for a couple weeks and her friends constantly ask her why she doesn't have a car since she is married to a farang. Her friends have no clue about asset management...only that she's married to a farang and should have a car....to use the couple weeks a year we are in Thailand.

I've mixed with thousands of Thais over many years including city and country people as opposed to "a hundred", so my sample size is a bit more credible when I speak in "generalisations" as opposed to generalizations.

Generalizations are credible when they do represent the majority as opposed to the minority.

Kob Khun Krup!

Archived