BGs scamming, lying.. Why so little rip-offs then?

pattaya127

pattaya 127 is right on with this one.

Just let it be known early on in the realtionship that you know what is going on. Establish your boundaries....even better if you can establish that you live here.

The treatment you get will be much better than if you are viewed as a short term -four day BKK holiday type of "screw him for all I can get" person.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just that, IME, on the whole, the girls don't act and don't talk so we take them seriously, and good on them not to take us seriously.

Because a girl says she "have take care papa mama, baby, no have job in village, no money, what can I do..", doesn't mean an intent to scam. There isn't that much more to say to a total stranger, lest she reads the FEER. If the guy feels "what a wretched life, my little fallen angel to be saved", up to him. No one is putting these words and thoughts in the mouth, and certainly not a young chick . It's just a longer way to say "hello, I am thai, and still available at this hour".

bar scene 101, really!

Because it is much easier to pull the buy-out-from-bar scam.
I think this sums it up quite well.

The mores are interesting here. I saw a Thai guy get thrashed within an inch of his life by other Thais when he did a grab a run with a farang woman's purse on Silom. Her purse was returned intact without any missing money. On the other hand, most of the gallant heros who came to the farang's rescue were selling counterfeit goods, and I heard one of them insisting a few moments later that his streetside Rolexes were the real genuine article. Theft by fraud and stealth is apparantly OK.

Gadfly1 said:

...most of the gallant heros who came to the farang's rescue were selling counterfeit goods, and I heard one of them insisting a few moments later that his streetside Rolexes were the real genuine article. Theft by fraud and stealth is apparantly OK.

Ya see, I do not have any problem with that. The pursesnatcher was a thief, taking advantage of a victim through no fault of her own. This is unacceptable in society.

The "Rolex" sellers are simply taking advantage of the greed of some people. Anyone who thinks a US$2500 watch (retail, low end SS Submariner) that can be pawned anywhere for at least $1000, is able to be bought on the street anywhere for $50 is just fucking stupid and needs to be seperated from their money. No sympathy at all. Just like the fools who fall for the Nigerian 419 scams or the Thai gems scam. If those people would not let greed override their brain, then no matter what the seller said they would not buy (unless they wanted a fake that is).

Cheers,

SD -- (who loves his jing-jing tu-tone Daytona too mutt, but rarely wears it in LoS...that's what the fakes are for)

Right on, Susu. The Rollex thingo is as old as the BG sob story, or almost. If that's all the scams we have to fear, we're in safe waters!

Once again, like the lasses, the sellers could not care less if you believe it or not, up to you. They don't have what you want, they sell you what you want. You want a fake rolex, they have it. yoiu want a real one, have it too.... Same price as the fake one... another 101 course (gem scams in second semester) ::

Ya see, I do not have any problem with that. The pursesnatcher was a thief, taking advantage of a victim through no fault of her own. This is unacceptable in society.

The "Rolex" sellers are simply taking advantage of the greed of some people. Anyone who thinks a US$2500 watch (retail, low end SS Submariner)that can be pawned anywhere for at least $1000, is able to be bought on the street anywhere for $50 is just fucking stupid and needs to be seperated from their money. No sympathy at all. Just like the fools who fall for the Nigerian 419 scams or the Thai gems scam.

...or the fools that remit money from aboard to support their "reformed" BG girl friend or pay substantial sums to bars so that their BGs can leave the bar, live a life of innocence and patiently wait for their farang saviour to return to the LOS.

Same thing. They both involving scamming - which I believe was the original point here - and scamming sometimes involves a bit of greed and typically involves an element of naïveté. I am not passing judgment on any of these distinctions; I just find them amusing.

the point of the thread was that If it's that bad, and always on their mind (which is what is squarely said more than thrice on the board), then there is no way there shouldn't be mpre straight thievery and plain criminal behaviour. Out of 10 of 000s Bgs and FLs, no way it would get limited to "let's see if he is a sucker" scam.

I doubt the "pay the bar a lump sum" was an invention of the BG. I indeed will mistrust management more than the girls to do one up on me (bill padding, upstairs show fee, etc.)

Now, everyone has his experience plus the ones of his buddies, so even if no one dares say here he's been victim of a crime. we have our own stats. It does happen, but in view of the large number of punters involved, hardly defining the scene.

I am very surprised that you guys judge the whole scene on some infatuated naive off-the-planers who took it on their own to send money to a multi-sponsored girl. I am sure not many out of all guys do that. And i maintain that very few girls bother you with their sob story once introductions have been made. If the guys shows interest the morning after, not her fault, but as i said, part of the career adancements possibilities. He will press her on to accept, and show his good heart a lot more than she will.

pattaya127 said:

Yes, they are scammers, they lie as they breath and they view farang as ATM machines

---------------------------------------

you pay too much attention to what they say. Let that to the real suckers, Forget the yakyak, they won't hold it against you, establish your budget, and just enjoy. I don't believe someone who's got what you say imprinted in his brain as he partakes, has much more fun than with some hooker back in farangland.

Moreover, why should a grown up man be wary of chicks who could be his daughter, and maybe grand-D? They're not that smart, just have a broken record they'll repeat for the guy stupid enough to pay attention.

Here here, if a chick in the UK tells me I'm a good looking man, I'm instantly wary, why should it be any different in LOS. Play along by all means but keep your guard up like you would do so at home....

No offense, but you are missing the point, oddly enough of the very thread you started. Let me walk you through some of your own posts to help you understand this.

Go back to your original post where you said "There is no way, IMO, that [scamming] being such a concern, it would not translate in numerous reports of thievery" and in a post shortly thereafter posing the rhetorical question: ?BGs scamming, lying.. Why so little rip-offs?, meaning if they are really scamming, why don?t we read more reports about thefts on this board? Your argument summed up using your own words.

And then again in your post immediately above: ?If it's that bad, and always on their mind (which is what is squarely said more than thrice on the board), then there is no way there shouldn't be mpre straight thievery and plain criminal behaviour..? Your argument restated again.

I thought it was obvious from some of the tongue-in-cheek responses here, but let me spell it out for you. You are incorrectly assuming that if scamming is ?always on their [a BGs] mind?, then we should read more reports about thefts here (your exact words: ?then there is no way there shouldn't be mpre straight thievery and plain criminal behaviour?), and on the basis of this incorrect assumption, concluding that that we are therefore too cynical and BGs scam far less than we claim.

I think the point you are missing is that in Thai, and certainly Thai street and BG culture, ?scamming? a naïve Farang is not considered the same as robbing him. That was the point of my Silom story. Thai mores draw a distinction between scamming someone and robbing them. Actually, many cultures ? and some of our farang members ? draw this distinction. Consequently, you cannot conclude that the limited reports of outright robbery on this board means that BGs scam far less than we think. It is not that simple.

Although you apparently didn?t realize it, the Suadum post that you applauded actually buttressed my point on this subject. Suadum argued there is a legitimate distinction between (a) purse snatching and (B) scamming naïve farang tourists buying pirated watches. If such a distinction exists or, more important, if people believe such a distinction exists (Suadum apparently does), then the limited number of stories about ?straight thievery and plain criminal behavior? does not mean that BGs scam less than we think. In other words, the fact that BGs do not often engage in ?straight thievery?, doesn?t mean they aren?t scamming.

This is what I find so amusing about this thread. Perhaps another tack should be taken; for example, one of those insightful polls with complex and probing questions such as "Thais Girls: good or bad? Click yes or no". That will establish once and for all that the BGs are not scammers when they convince some guy overseas to send them money each month :: Hell, I think they are true patriots when they persuade a farang to do this.

Let me make it even more simple. First, yes, scamming lying, scheming, seeing the $ bill instead of the person, in any culture is quite inducive to theft.

BG culture, thai culture? wow, you start sounding like me! :D

second.... well, you read my posts, I have nothing to add. Sorry if you look the part of a guy every girl feels like if repeating ad nauseam a little sob story, you may open your wallet. I gather that a few here find it all inocuous, unconsequential talk, a "bruit de fond" as we say in french.

PS:Suadum did not comment on the Bgs as much as he commented on the rollex "scam".

Archived