Thailand over the years

soi_hound

Ah, my first visit to Bangkok in 1978 as a perky 22 year old with a perpetual boner still registers well with me.

The only action of note happening on Suk back then was the Grace Hotel (I think the Thermae was open then, but I hadnt gone there till a few years later) and a few massage parlors. Occasionally a few freelancers at some hotel bars/coffee shops.

No NEP or Cowboy, the main action area was the Pong (NEP only came up around 1985). A taxi from Suk to the Pong was 10 minutes, no traffic jams.

I used to stay either at the Grace or the Nana back then. Further up on Soi 4 was a massage place called Happy Happy that served me well for a few years. Back then, it was not unusual to take your honey LT from a massage parlor (about a 1000b LT).

There were also places called "lady homes". The cab drivers were always trying to get you to these places (for a commission no doubt). It would be a house somewhere not far and you sit down in a room and the girls would come in for you to check them out. Lots of cute ones too.

The Grace back then had a posh coffee shop, leather upholstered seating, sort of an English pub atmosphere. Best looking freelancers in town and was the hangout of choice in the Suk area.

Pattaya in the early 80's was a scaled down model of what it is today, maybe cleaner and a little tidier then. Bars with freelancers (rather than girls working or committed to these places) seemed more the case than today. You'd often see the same girl at 2 or 3 different joints in an evening.

It was a rare occurence for any TG to negotiate money upfront with you. It was simple trust that you dont go off the market rates (rates then were 300-500b ST, 700-1000 LT BKK, slightly less in Pattaya).

The GFE experience was certainly more convincing. But they seemed a lot more shy and sexually a bit more inhibited. Not much kinky stuff. A BJ was not as common nor were were there as many 3-holers as today. :D

The best part was NO FUCKIN CONDOMS! It was unheard of for anyone to wear a condom back then (yeah, no AIDS then either). Well the bare-skin sex lasted until the early 90's when the govt then embarked on its massive safe sex program passing out condoms to all and sundry. Actually surprised it hadnt happened sooner.

I guess that was the best part of my recollections of that period.. the BB sex with the hundreds of great babes. Fortunately, I got off lightly. Gonnorhea about 4 or 5 times and syphilis once. Pretty good considering the numbers involved.

A good thing about today (aside from the kinky stuff and more 3-holers :D) is the prevalence of mobiles. You no longer have to write off a worthy babe due to inconvenient circumstances.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1972--Siam Intercontinental Hotel: 180 baht ($9 U.S.); 2- hour "soapie" across the street: 40 baht ($2) + 100-150 FS;

Mid 80's--Soi Cowboy: Beer, 30-35 baht; LD, 30 baht; LT, 500 (very standard without any mention in advance and understood that everything was LT unless you said otherwise).

HH

soi_hound said: There were also places called "lady homes". The cab drivers were always trying to get you to these places (for a commission no doubt). It would be a house somewhere not far and you sit down in a room and the girls would come in for you to check them out. Lots of cute ones too.

Thanks for reminding me Soi Hound. The first place I ever went to was called a 'lady home' and it was off Ratchadapisek Road somewhere. This was July 1988 and my first visit to LOS. I went with 3 mates and we stayed at the Union Tower Hotel on New Petchburi Road. A friend of ours in Qatar had recommended we stay there as he knew the front office manager, who would look after us. That night he took us out to dinner and then late on to this lady home. Unfortunately there was 4 of us and only 2 girls left so we decided to call it a night and all trooped back to the hotel. However as soon as my mates were back in their rooms I sneaked back out again, hailed a cab and asked for Patpong (I had no idea where I was and no idea where Patpong was). I remember walking down what I think was PP1, and it was dark, when a girl (I hope) came out of the dark and wrapped her arms around my neck. I can't remember what she said but I pulled away and went into a bar where I negotiated for a girl (negotiating on my first night, I was quite proud of myself). However when I went to pay for the bar, and I think up front for the girl as well, I discovered that my money which had been in my shirt top pocket was gone. The girl in the street had robbed me. Anyway no problem as the girl and the mamasan took me back to my hotel in a taxi, where I cashed a travellers cheque, paid the mamasan and spent the night with the girl. I have no recollection of what she looked like or what the sex was like but it is a memory of my first night in LOS that I will never forget and I never told any of my mates about what I did that night until many years later.

The next day our Thai friend took us all back to the lady home and we all picked girls who stayed with us for varying lengths of time. I traded mine in after a couple of days but one of the lads stuck with the same one for the whole week and only ever came out of his room to get cigarettes!

It was only on my next visit to LOS that I discovered that the girls in the lady homes were not there of their own free will and could not leave without buying themselves out at great expense. I never went back to one again.

I kept in touch with the Thai guy for quite a few years after that (partly because I was going out with one of his receptionists for a couple of years) and could never understand why he was happy to go to a lady home where the girls were effectively slaves but would never set foot in a place like Patpong where the girls were free to work or not work as they pleased!

soi_hound said:

Yes, but Cowboy was considered the low end of the market then. So you may have gotten them that low. Pat Pong was a bit different though. Of course better looking babes there too.

Yep...different market, with SC primarily an expat place then. Larger bars on SC were just beginning to open up: Darling, Suzi Wong (later, Tilac and Midnight). Still, the newer, larger bars had just as many "stunners" as the bars in the Pong (IMO).

Per ND's request, here are some pics from 1990 at SC. Have others someplace from the mid-80's taken at SC and Patpong. (Some not suitable for a family board like this one :) )

Two dancers outside the Darling Bar (now Rawhide)

db1.jpg

A threesome from the Darling at the Soi 23 Beer Garden/Restauant (BTW, the one on the left danced until her late 30's at NEP; saw her topless at Lollipop a few years later and three years ago as a dek serve at Playskool.)

db2.jpg

Barfined 4 dancers and the mamasan from the Darling; went to a movie and Pizza Hut next to the President hotel on Ploenchit afterwards. (Just a night off for the girls but cost me 5 barfines :) )

db3.jpg

Another inside Darling Bar

db4.jpg

Inside Suzi Wong

sw2.jpg

Inside Tilac (This one was a plump little dek serve at Fantasia a few years later.)

tilacoy.jpg

HH

Archived