Korean BBQ

liquidflux

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have never seen any Korean restaurant selling dog meat in thailand. also in Korea, only few specialized retaurants sell the usually very high priced dog meat (at least in Seoul; in the rural area it's a bit different).

as a foreigner you will normally not be invited to such restaurants as many Koreans think it is internationally a image problem if they admit to like dog meat. therefore you will not see any other foreigner in those restaurants and you will realize that they are not used to serve foreigners.

the dog meat is usually boiled. a lot of sauces and side dishes.

suadum said:Gummi, I have tried the place on 22 when it was Shilla. Average IMHO. Has it changed any since the name change?

Ummm, I don't know. In this, I am like you. Extremely unedumacated. Started going there about 2-years ago. Last time I was there was almost 2-months ago. Same as normal. So it could be just same as average :)

I remember when I went with my Korean friend to Korean town in New York City (I forgot, soi 35 or soi 36 between 5th and 6th??? <--- that's between 5th and 6th avenue. 35th street or 36th if I remember correctly) we would always get a bowl of noodles with what I think was black bean sauce or paste. That was really good, but hell if I could ever find it or remember the name.

Any help Samak? Or am I too general or obscure? Oh, the bowl of noodles was a meal in itself. Not a side dish.

<<burp>>

samak said:

in particular all the different leaves in which you roll your grilled pieces of beef and the dipping sauces are pretty strange; not authentic...i did not see any Korean owner/manager/supervisor in Erhawon.

You can get the leaves and raw garlic to make a "Korean burrito", but you have to ask for them. I guess not many use them so they hold them back? :dunno: As far as the beef, I like the ox tongue :up: :up:, and the bulgogli is OK, but since wifey does not eat beef, we generally do not order it so my grading of that is probably less informed than the other meats. The spicy pork rocks!!! and the seafood is all good and plentiful (e.g., 14 scallops to an order).

You are correct, no Korean management there. The Thai owner (in her 50s) was married to a Korean guy and lived in Korea for some time, but is divorced or widowed now -- dunno which, but the Korean guy is out of the picture.

I was always under the impression from my Chinese mates that dog meat also considered a delicasy and is expensive. Therefore, I am sure one would not be served it on accident. Also, it is a "heaty" food and is usually only served in winter. Thoughts?

Cheers,

SD

you mean the korean chilli bean paste? it is called Kochu chang.

the noodle dishes have very similar names than in Japan: Udong, Ramyon

also bowl of soups can be a full meal; word for soup is same than in chinese: tang. very popular is spare ribs soup called kalbi tang

suadum said:I was always under the impression from my Chinese mates that dog meat also considered a delicasy and is expensive. Therefore, I am sure one would not be served it on accident. Also, it is a "heaty" food and is usually only served in winter. Thoughts?

you are certainly right. dog meat is considered a delicacy in China and Korea and is very expensive. in korea there are special restaurants for that. i have also heard that they have farms which breed dogs for this purpose

this is in opposite to Thailand, where dog meet is considered the food of poor men and nobody likes to admit to eat it (with probably the exception of Sakhon Nakhon province where it is more common). and here they just eat the stray dog next door.

in Korea dog meat is served all year. i had it first time in July when it was around 40C outdoors.

Samak

What gummigut was refering to may have been jajang-myon which is buckwheat noodles (myon) with a blackbean paste (jajang) over the top. Bits of beef, onions and red pepper (kochu) are often added to the blackbean paste.

Korean tradition has it that if the elder men of a village / family eat dog (kae-kogi), the summer will more bearable... or something along those lines. Did it help in July?

Archived