stickman this week

paul101

Well, if you read his conclusion, to me it's crap when you are out there for the "real Thailand"

I don't take it personnal, his conclusions are simply wrong.

Seriousely, "walking around in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin or somewhere similar" is more of the same as walking around Torremolinos, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca etc, vey authentic indeed.

from his column:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trust me farang, you'll have a more enjoyable, fulfilling life in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin or somewhere similar, than you would somewhere rural or remote, somewhere with little to remind you of all things farang. As farangs there is much we embrace about Thailand and Thai culture, but severing ties with our roots is something most of us are unable to do. A few do it successfully, but truth be told, most don't.

So the next time someone tells you that they know the real Thailand and you don't, don't get too worried or upset at it. Odds are that you are enjoying yourself a lot more than they are!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, first time i read stick's in years. It's a bit opinionated, but he is far from wrong. Personally, I think the real Thailand is hit upon as soon as you get in the heat outside Don Muang, and your taxi wants to take you "cheap" to Pattaya, instead of moorchai. There are just so many real Thailands, the feel is different is every region.

I bet thais would be hard pressed to answer "what is the real thailand?". for them it's where they are. I think farangs, anywhere they are, should wisely agree to that. Wherever you are, here's YOUR real Thailand. This country is as much in our minds as it is real, let's face it. It's not a bad thing.

Er..Stick, the pix, sky train station (Siam?) right in front of the old intercontinental site. Sure built up in a year!

All,

All this talk about the "real Thailand" is just so much silliness really. Thailand is a big country. There are many "Thailands" in Thailand. From the most remote village to the city of Bangkok itself. All have their good sides to enjoy, and all have their downsides that one must endure at times. Same for the people, farang and Thai. I don't go out of my way to avoid anyone, unless they seem the type I don't want to associate with, be they Thai or farang. Avoiding people just because of their nationality is silly. I meet great people here in Thailand. I enjoy a chat with a strange unintroduced farang as much as meeting a friendly Thai or goofing with the village kids. I just try to enjoy where ever I happen to be, BKK, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Surin, the villages. All can be fun, all can have a bad spot. Hell I even enjoy going to the funerals, or helping a relative get their bags of rice to the rice plant to cash in, or as I did this weekend, take the family and some village kids up to the Cambo border and splash in the waterfalls. Had fun with farang friends in BKK a month ago, and I am enjoying myself in Surin and the village. The real Thailand is ... well ... fucking Thailand man! It can be all things to all types of people. It has much to offer.

And yipee! There is a new Pizza Connection opening up soon in the Surin Plaza complex! We have no pizza shops up here, and the one that some Chinese dude opened a while back was so bad even Thais wouldn't eat his horrid pizza! Pizza Connection might not be "real" pizza but it's better than nothing and a sight better than that Chinee guy's crap pizza!

Cent

P,

Exactly my point. It's not where you are that matters but how you respond to the world and people around you that makes the difference. A miserable bastard is a miserable bastard no matter where they are. Some people enjoy life, others like to bitch and moan no matter what, some like to think only their "circumstances" are the "real" Thailand. Pure bullshit. As individuals we all have different requirements to make us happy. Bangkok and access to farang things isn't Thailand, nor is the village where you can't find anything farang to enjoy. It's all Thailand. You just have to adjust and find the right balance in your life to make it work for you as an individual, that's all. Christ, people argue about the goofiest things sometimes and get all upset over someone else's opinion. It's just one man's opinion for god's sake. Imagine if we all felt the same and liked the same thing in life. We'd all be living in one place, eating the same food, and wanting to fuck the same girl. :: :D Imagine the property values! :)

Cent

My point EXACTLY! Cut the internet connection and how would you be?

I don't read The Bangkok Post and I don't drink much - and when I do, it is usually with the Mrs. so those points aren't really valid.

But yes, I admit it, I DO crave such things as intelligent conversation from intelligent Westerners and am lucky to have many bright, articulate friends here in Bangkok. That is something I would struggle to find in the Thai countryside.

Stick

Archived