stickman this week

paul101

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey, i was only picking up stuff from FlyW's own NP literature. A bit of a tease on my part, but he was right saying not all thais have an easy life. I agree that the idea of "real thailand", with its next step up, going native (pretending of course) is about romantism. Romantism is a projection of one's feelings onto something, or someone. it is in fact the contrary of realism.

pattaya127 said:

hey, i was only picking up stuff from FlyW's own NP literature. A bit of a tease on my part, but he was right saying not all thais have an easy life. I agree that the idea of "real thailand", with its next step up, going native (pretending of course) is about romantism. Romantism is a projection of one's feelings onto something, or someone. it is in fact the contrary of realism.

Yes but even romantics can be realistic sometimes. They have to get on & off planes for instance and negotiate with taxi drivers and so on. By the same token realists can get quite romantic especially in moments of weakness. Thailand is a good place to try to decide which you are. I think. Good place to get drunk too. I seem to have more capacity for alchohol when I'm there. I go saleep now. :):beer:

Funny, ChuckW, i was about to add one can be both, no need to choose, though of course not at the same time, or towards the same object (Balzacian theme truly).

IMO, LOS is the last place to be singly romantic. Too much bottom line, Just don't add up there. A dose of healthy "wake-up call"realism will take you much further, and safer too.

Pale_Rider said:

Cent, I enjoyed reading your chroicle and self-assesment of your "alter' life upcountry. Surin is changing as I assume many of the larger towns in Issan are dong also. You wrote (snip):

"Myself, I can say that I have just about everything I want and need up in Surin, and even in the village now. It's a decent medium sized city. We have a Makro, a BigC, a new Tesco, a KFC, and soon a Pizza Connection and possibly a McDonald's."

What's your opinion of health care in the "boonies?" Serious issues such as heart problems, cancer treatment etc. Covienience of service? Reliable Docs and hospitals. Availability of the latest approved chemo drug? Wish you better luck then your Red Sox had this year.

:(

PaleRider,

Thanks. Just giving my viewpoint from my own experience. YMMV I'd say. Surin has changed so much in the past seven years it is truly incredible. When I first visited Surin it was much less "farang friendly" than it is now. I remember going days/weeks seeing maybe a couple farang around. Now I can go to Makro, Tesco, or BigC and see 10 in a matter of minutes. Some are friendly, some seem to be like Thalenoi and avoid any contact of a fellow farang they don't know in public. I've chatted with some, give the nod to others in greeting, and the ones that don't even acknowledge my nod I figure aren't worth getting to know. But it is amazing how many are up here year round now, and visiting for extended periods of time. And how quickly it has all changed. Makro was built maybe 2 or 3 years ago. This year they finished the Tesco-Lotus, and a few months later the BigC opened as well. They've built a TAO shop which has many more building supplies all in one place and made shopping for these things much easier. Now they've just finished this HUMONGOUS building supply business just outside the city (forget the name of it and haven't been in there yet) that looks to be as large as a full city block! They've just finished and opened a brand new hotel by the Bus Depot (The Surin Majestic) that is very nice. (800 baht a room, 1,200 I think for the 1 bedroom suites, and 1,800 a night for the 2 bedroom suites. Nice pool, etc.) The city had a recent renovation (monies from TRT pols for votes I heard) that really improved the infrastructure and city grounds everywhere. All the highways leading in and out of the city have been redone and widened, all new sewerage pipes laid while doing this. The city boomed during Taksin's time in office. Really is a nice place to live now for a farang as well as the native residents. Many, many new small shops and buildings erected for rooms to rent and shops to rent. Plus we do get some cooler weather up here the next 2 and a half months. Some nice mild mid 70'sF night time temps, which is good sleeping weather, and sure feels nice. Plus the cops know me here and NEVER stop me when I am driving. They get their mia noi fund replenished each month from the idiots not wearing helmets riding their motocykes around town. You see it every month, but they don't bother farangs unless they are doing the same or doing something truly idiotic. I wear my seatbelt all the time now, so they really have no reason to stop me. They all know I am legal to drive here and fully insured and licensed. It's not likje BKK or Pattaya where the farang are seen as a roaming mia noi fund raiser. Everyone is much more polite as well (a plug toward the impolite Thais thread running now).

As for the medical stuff, well, I did have my gallbladder taken out in the private hospital a couple years back. I was well treated, they had all the modern equipment needed for diagnosis and such. I have no complaints what-so-ever and would not be reluctant to be treated there or have surgery there again. And at a VERY good price for the surgery and all as well. (20,000 USD they wanted to do this in the states. Had it all done, plus three days/nights in the hospital in a private room, <you could even smoke in the room!> in this Surin hospital for around 600 bucks!) A block from my Surin house there is also a large government hospital as well. I wouldn't likely have heart surgery or cancer treatments in Surin, I'd go to Bangkok for that truly major stuff, but I wouldn't/don't feel nervous about the level of medical treatment here in Surin.

The village has a clinic, manned by an RN I am told, about 15 minutes drive from my village house. I've no idea how competent they are or what they can handle. I suppose they would be a stop to be stabilized before heading down to Surin to the hospital if things were hairy and I couldn't last the 50 minute drive to Surin. But I have no history of heart disease and stroke or heart attacks on both sides of my family, so it's not a major concern or worry. My blood pressure is normal (how I don't know but it is) and I am fairly healthy except for my back problems, which have gotten much better the past two years. So no real worries. I guess if I had major health concerns and wanted to stay in Thailand I'd choose to live in BKK or Pattaya where the hospitals are much better and farang friendly. My only real concern is the drunk drivers around here and driving at night. More likely to have an accident than a health concern at the moment. We'll see what happens as I age more. I'm only 52 now.

Thanks, but the Sox did something I never expected anyway, win a World Series before I croaked, so I'm happy enough to have seen this. I guess another 80 years for the youngsters to see again will not affect my pleasure in seeing this done! :D And the Pats as well. Never in my life did I dream the Patsies would do what they've done. (Fuck Parcells. Belechick is da man!) :: :: :D

I'm happy. :) I couldn't give a shit less about the New England Revolution, (it's just soccer after all ;-)and I'm not a hockey fan, so no worries there with the Bruins either. But I'd love to see the Celts win it all again one year soon. My wife is a NY Knicks fan, for some odd reason. So it would be nice to have that to hold over her cheering head one day! :: :D

Later Pale,

Cent

Cent said:

"So no real worries. I guess if I had major health concerns and wanted to stay in Thailand I'd choose to live in BKK or Pattaya where the hospitals are much better and farang friendly. My only real concern is the drunk drivers around here and driving at night. More likely to have an accident than a health concern at the moment. We'll see what happens as I age more. I'm only 52 now."

"only 52" sure hits home. I will be on Medicare next month. Thanks for filling in the answers to my questions. Out here on the left coast, the 49ers are the antithesis of the Pats. it will take a couple more years to get even close to the Joe Montana, Steve Young era. The Giants fade in the home stretch, but the Warriors are looking good at this early juncture. Jeez, they might even qualify for the playoffs.

:)

Stay healthy and happy,

_the PR

Back to Stickman's column.

Is electricity, TV, computers, automobiles, cell phones, etc. considered "Western"?

What is real Thai life, then? Up in a remote village with none of the above?

Do we accept progress or not?

Archived