Impolite Thai people

Tiger Moth

Today, I was approaching an office building. I was a step or 2 behind an elderly Thai lady. The doors were glass and I could see approaching on the other side a young Thai woman followed by a Thai man in business attire, a step behind. The elderly Thai lady was obviously not in the best health and was getting along with some diffiiculty. I expected the young lady to hold the door for the elderly lady. But, she walked thru the doorway as if the elderly lady was not even there. To my surprise, the Thai man did the same and was essentially walking through as the elderly lady was also in the doorway. So, the elderly lady had to contend with a heavy door closing towards her and a Thai man brushing through at the same time.

What is with this?

I must say, I have experienced this type of impolite behavior myself and thought it had something to do with me being a farang. But, obviously not.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One time in Tops supermarket, a fellow was behind me with just one or two items, while I had a cart full of stullf. I insisted he go ahead of me (as is the coustom in the U.S.) and he nearly fainted.

I think it is farily unusual for Asians to go very far out of their way to make life easier for strangers. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Errr, you dont honestly expect Thais to notice anyone outside of their self important little bubble do you?

Its only us stupid falang that do that.

Frankly, I think that pretty well sums it up. Spoiled rotten as children, they grow up thinking the world revolves around them. Very similar to Thai's getting in the elevator before you get a chance to get out, stopping squarely in front of you on the street to pull out their phone, or ignoring the line and going straight to the front.

"self important little bubble"

perfect description.

as for the elevator thing, try backing out, they ( thais) really dont want to get hit with a farang butt.

works on the sky train really well

Can't remember the last time I saw a Thai hold the door open for the next person.

-------------------------------------

well, who says they have to. It's not an universal god-given commandment.

I always do that, and i will always do that, but when one travels and stay abroad, we realize people are not the same everywhere.

in general, not answering you, KS:

I think maybe we should not judge this against our own values, as if they were the ones to uphold against the rest of the world. I think it's nice we are like this (though anyone remember the thread with Joan Collins talking about rudeness in England, and our english members agreed copiously people were more nad more careless?), and even nicer to keep them, but I think to try to explain it as thais being raised to be assholes is a bit far-fetched. these ways are all over Asia. South Koreans, I always hear being some of the rudest people (even thais notice), and the chinese are pretty good. I do not see indians holding doors either.

Not about thais are perfect, but they are what they are. I doubt that over all, in the way one inter-acts with them, especially expats, the impoliteness is what comes to mind on and on (the title would seem to make it a trait). And maybe our friends who have live-in GF and wife in the west can tell us if they thought they had to lecture their other half on their impoliteness, or regretfully realize she is impolite in their neck of the wood.

My psycho-babbble opinion is that these asian societies have so many codes for public behaviour, the individual keeps to that and forgets the rest. when he does not have to use coded signs, like wai and kreng jai stuff, he/she is not doing wrong.

Our own societies, especially in the last century, put more emphasis on the individual being responsible for what he is doing, coded behaviour or not. "Do unto others..."

BuffHello said:

try walking across a zebra crosing and you will see plenty impoliteness. THEY WILL TRY TO RUN YOU DOWN FOR SURE.

ESPECIALLY AT THE NANA INTERSECTION .

but thats not considered impolite, its a sport

One thing i could not believe is how people can stand in line one behind each other, in rush hour, in the BTS. I mean, for one minute i thought i was in Japan, Holy cow! Sure was surprising. Anyone knows how thai riders were coerced in doing that. Unachievable in France, where we do give our seat to elders, and let people out before we come in (barely, but still do ::) though.

anyway, just like you guys, one thing I hate are people jumping in the front of the queue, and especially, or when you are at the counter, someone still tries to get between you and the cashier. I have indeed a very individual western reaction....Get back, motherfucker! :onfire:

In India, you must physically remove them, or you will stay a long time trying to buy your ticket, 2 inches from the counter.

Archived