Impolite Thai people

Tiger Moth

This is one of the biggest negatives in thai society. It is call "the third circle of thai society" meaning the general public.

Thais are indifferent to anyone in this outer circle as it has no bearing on their life. That is why thais cut in front of you in lines, don't lear their wrappings at fast food places, throuw garbage on the street, pick their nose in public. They don't care what others think of them.

Do you care to be choking in a restaurent or have some medical emergency on the sidewalk? What do you think are the odds some stranger will come to your aid in LOS? My money would be on a falang if a few are present in the above scenarios...

Thais function in a very rigid social hierarchy and continuosly evaluate where you vs them are on it. They do not see people in general as equals, equality, fairness, part of some democratic process where all people have the same rights. It is not their history nor built into their belief/value system at the present time..

It just isn't thailand yet if it ever will be. History meets western democracy..

CB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CB,

I see where you're coming from and don't disagree with what you're saying regarding Thailand.

But let's not forget that impoliteness has set its tone in the West as well.

People cut in lines, littering isn't uncommon, holding doors open for others yes and no.

Pickinh nose in public, you see that everywhere, .. ask people (especially teenagers) if they care what others think of them.. the majority won't have differing answers.

I agree that I've seen worse in Thailand, but compared to the West they're (un)fortunately not that far ahead on the impolite-o-meter.

I reject P127's assertion that we are imposing our own cultural biases on the Thais/Chinese whoever

------------------------

well, we all do truly. thais do it with all the jokes about farangs being unclean or being jai lon (very impolite, but are we really overall? same for thais), for example. If people, at any stage, are never taught to help an elderly that is not part of their clan or village, they won't do it. that does not deny that kindness of strangers do happen as well, and is appreciated. I find the thais far to be the last in that department, if an impetus to do so is thrust upon them.

For that specific door-opening thing, it may be acquired in certain societies and not in others. Plus, who does or does not. Are all new yorkers ready to help an elderly across th street?

I just amuse myself thinking that at the same time this thread went on, on a thai site (or japanese, anywhere truly) same thread would be on but titled "impolite westerners. Sometimes we see the needle in someone's eyes, and likewise, we should not be surprised they see it in our own eyes. I am sure we'd dispute their judgement, as too encompassing.

This is one of the biggest negatives in thai society

-------------------------------------------

much in agrrement with what you say, but the negativity is not in their eyes, but ours, westerners. A thai may very well see your point and even agree with you for a good thought, but he won't change one iota how he behaves, because in his sytem of values, your point is irrelevant.

I also want to add that thai society is hierarchical, but IMO, not so very rigidly. It's just that for me, rigidity has a physical connotation that may fit other nationals, but not the thais. I think they follow hierarchical codes more naturally, as raised in them, than rigidly, as if coercing themselves constantly.

You find this ( for us ) impolite behaviour all over Asia , the worst in China , not sure about Japan. Last week I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the skytrain , she did not know what to do with my gesture and turned round . When I looke back on my seat , some other guy was sitting there.

Not sure if this can be called "impolite " . They would call us impolite if we point our shoes at them .

BuBi

Hello,

Living away from Thialand close to 40 years now makes me notice things more when I am in Thailand or just being around Thia people outside Thailand. In my days, at least in HS where I went, the boys were taught to be "gentlemen", one of the polite gesture is openning doors forl older people, women and children. I remember letting the teachers in first and so on.

It changed a lot I think, one of my GFs who is teaching in Thammasart said that she had to fight off the kids to get in an elevator in campus ::

What you saw there is the attitude of "none of my business" thing. Another poster said about the cross walk, I almost grabbed the neck of a motorcycle rider once when I was in the middle, he swerved and inch just to pass me! However, I also saw many who stopped to let me cross. Yes, gentlemen, I am the mean looking feeble old woman!!!!Better stop and keep the distance when you see one :)

Hmmm, on Nana??? Perhaps they are trying to slow you down from spending the $$$$$$? :D

Jasmine

I agree with many of Pattay127s comments. Different socities have different cultures and codes of behaviour and it is a subjective opinion if one is poilte or not.

In Japan people are on the whole very polite in queing etc. But if you are on a crowded train and they want to get on they will push into you with all their might to get on. They also make huge slurping sounds when eating noodles which many westerners find impolite.

In my own country Australia, I think of teenage kids as generally an unruly, rude bunch - especially compared to Japanese kids who seem quiet and well behaved. But was surprized when more than one Japanese person remarked how polite Aussie school kids were, when I asked why witha stunned look on my face they responded that they had seen numerous times a school kid vacate his or her seat on a bus for an elderly person. In Japan this is not so common - not sure why but suppose it is not taught consistently from a young age. Once again cultural differences.

I was surprised when I went to China at how incredibly impolite the people seemed. Ther was no concept of queuing, at any counter selling anything there is just a mass sprawl of people, pushing and shoving to get to the front. When train or bus doors open and there are vacant seats commuters literally dash for them and fight over the seats.

What I have noticed in recent years is better bahaviour on the sky train in Bangkok. When I first rode it a number of years ago when the dorrs opened and you wanted to get off, the people entering would not make a passage or let you off. They simply crammed in as soon as the doors opened and you had to push your way out. I don't notice that now, usually you are given a passage to disembark. I notice signs posted reminding people to do this and to vacate seats to elderly people. So it seems a matter of public education to help address some of these issues. Over time people read the signs and observe others peoples behavious and follow suit.

So many minor frustrations in LOS disappear when you put them to work for YOU.

Many of these perceived flaws in behaviour can be an advantage, especially if they are not perceived by locals to be impolite.

Wanna be at the front of the line? Go there.

Wanna walk down the sidewalk without problem? Just walk, don't look at anybody. If they bump into you, ignore it. Chances are, you're bigger. Much bigger. Laws of inertia, momentum and all that.

See a seat you want when boarding the BTS? Go ahead, push your way in. Exit blocked? No problem, just keep walking.

Hold the door? Hey, that's not YOUR problem

Why waste your time looking for a trash bin when there's a perfectly good floor or road or window?

Got somebody asking you a tough/uncomforting question? Smile, give any answer that comes into your head. Doesn't have to make sense, be logical or even be anything close to the truth.

Why fight city hall? Join the masses. Lower your blood pressure. Lower your standards. Remember, only YOU should be #1.

Make it work for YOU!

:devil::stirthepo:censored::)

Cardinal Blues reflections on this aspect of Thai society/ the

"third society" IE outside ones own clan, are in IMHO dead on.

This is someone that understands the way it ticks here.

It matters little what we perceive it as because its just the way it is. :)

Dont let it make you crazy. Just use it to understand the Thai ness of it all.

Archived