Impolite Thai people

Tiger Moth

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find your logic to be a bit of a stretch

------------------------

you are correct, it was meant to be, as a comparison of saying not opening the door in BKK to an old lady means thais are impolite. I do not find impolite a guy doesn't let a lady first, indeed, just tells me hes does not have any reason to be gallant, and i think a thai, in that analogy, is alike. just not registereing as polite and impolite. IMO (for all the Know-it-all-ness i am accused of, i see few use these 3 letters in their definitive "no other way" posts).

Twice this week I have been forceably pushed in the back by Thais whilst entering a (crowded) skytrain. I'm no slowcoach, I just try to keep a few inches between myself and the person entering in front of me. Fucking dumbarse ignorant people.

are the predominately Buddhist people of Cambodia and Laos more 'polite'

-----------------------

If they start having big urban centers as in thailand, i am sure in these environments, they lose whatever buddhist kindness veneer we lend them (30 years ago though, Cambodia was hell for Buddhists). I have no problem with courtesy outside urban Thailand. Wherever i go, thais always show sollicitude if i find myself alone in a crowd at events, or in a park/site.

If you are not in a Thai's family or circle of friends, you do not exist

-------------------------

sorry, wish to say: no IMO in that post, who is the know-it-all, me again? ::

one thing I find personally true about thais, compared to just about every other 3r world country in Asia i visited, is that they leave you alone, no one is obsequiously trying to sell you something outisde of well-known tourist attractions (most in BKK), no monk is pestering you to learn english outside of well known temples (most in BKK). Live and let live, just love it!

But I am sorry you have never experienced any type of kindness from thais outside people you know. Maybe your environment, I dunno.

Hi!

As i live in a city that has had public rail transportation in place 50 years before BKK I dont see this as a problem. I do see it as a problem that a bunch arseholes are trying to to board the train while people are trying to exit. This appears to me to have gotten better but still not good. Maybe it will be good after another 50 years. I don't think that these kind of problemd arise in Paris, London and NY as these cities have had underground much longer than Stockholm.

As a side note people who come from from smaller cities in Sweden (as I did myself once) often find the underground a horror which it is not.

regards

ALHOLK

"i think a thai, in that analogy, is alike. just not registereing as polite and impolite".

And I think your analogy is spurious.

In your analogy you are comapring apples and oranges, in my opinion.

While I haven't attempted to have insight regarding what goes in the mind of a Thai businessman who, in a doorway, brushes past an elderly lady with physical difficulties or attempted insight regarding Thai cultural nuances, I have stated that I believe this type of behavior is impolite, regardless.

If this were to be acceptable behavior for a Thai businessman and culturally correct then I would say Thai culture is defective in this regard and still say that Thais are impolite in this instance.

To my knowledge, it is universally accepted that parents should take care of their newborn children. Similarly, I also believe that some consideration should be given to an elderly person with physical difficulties even with no relation to the elderly person and in a general social situation. I believe this is a universal truth and that any society that doesn't adhere to this universal truth is defective in that regard.

Your opinion seems to be that it is culturally dependant. If that is your opinion, I believe you give too much latitude to behavior that is acceptable in any given culture.

Archived