Impolite Thai people

Tiger Moth

I am afraid it is not limited to Bangkok, nor even Thailand. I remember my first rude reminder in Laos standing in the visa window line when a Laos local cut in front right to the window just like they do in Thailand at McDonalds or buying train tickets. Like in Thailand, the Laos lady behind the window accepted it as normal and didn't send him back to the end of the line. Of course I also remember the years before this there was a time people didn't even line up for visa's in Laos. The group of people waited surrounding the window and the sharpest elbows made their way first. Just like the sky train used to be. Thai's are learning how to behave politely and form lines, but this is all new to them. Before it was rather chaotic. There are signs things are changing for the better, but very slowly.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big_Kahuna said:

P127: Just don't care for hypocrisy. I don't pretend to feel or think otherwise just to be "nice," but the Thais are hypocritical when it comes to Buddhism. I couldn't care less if they were good Buddhists or not, just don't go around saying you are, then being the impolite, anti-Buddhist gits they tend to be.

Kinda like Christianity where you can murder, rape, and pillage and then repent, accept Jesus and be forgiven?! Then you can fall off the wagon, go about your evil ways to get it out of your system, then repent and accept Jesus again.

I am talking about extremes of course. There are plenty of less dramatic real life examples (Falwell, G Dubya etc.)

Buddhism does not have a monopoly on hyprocritical sprituality.

Right, but I'm not in A Christian country or a Muslim country. I'm in a Buddhist country, so they can all go fuck themselves if they think I'm going to take them seriously when they natter on about what good Buddhists they are, then turn around and act as rude as a, well, as a Thai.

shotover said:

LOL. I was taking some language courses at the Times Square Building near Sukhumvit Soi 12. The Thai instructors (all ladies) complained jokingly (but true) that the Times Square doorman always opened the entrance door and saluted farangs and foreign Asians, but never the Thais that worked there.

loved that heel clicking with the special shoes with metal plates! :)

Hi Cent,

The whole Mormon/Polygamy thing is under threat in several US states, and I know of at least one Mormon who is doing time for practising what he preaches (the fact that four of his wives were under 20, and the whole tribe was supported by the taxpayer, probably didnt help ..).

Here in Oz, we've pretty much done away with hole monogamy thing, but we are seeing the results of such unrestrained breeding in the current generation. The term 'feral' comes to mind ....

Later.

Artie

Artie,

Yeah, I've seen a lot on this in the news over the past few years. "Feral" ... reminds me of the kid in Mel's "Thunderdome" movie was it? One of the Mad Max ones anyway. The kid in the furs with the sharpened boomarang! :: :D

Thing is, the Mormon way would be a perfect "Christian" religion in Thailand I'd think! :D I'd think the Thais would barely blink an eye over it. :: :D

Cent

Shygye,

I'm not sure if it is illegal or not. But I did once see/hear about an old rich Thai guy who had like 24 wives, and tons of kids. Legalally? I don't think so. but he was open about it and this was on TV. He owns a huge chain of noodle/fishball soup shops across the country. You've likely eaten in one at one time or another. They're in loads of the gasoline shops on the major highways if I remember right. He stated that all his wives know their place in the pecking order, all help him run the shops and business, and that none of them have a problem with this and are happy and take casre of him and all the kids. One big happy family according to him.

Cent

Archived