Impolite Thai people

Tiger Moth

Easy,

BTW, I do see the JW's around here in Surin, but have yet to have them come knocking on my door. Usually a couple young guys in white shortsleeve shirts and dark long pants riding their bicycles around the city in their dorky looking crash helmets. :: :D Youthful proselytizers aiming to convert the heathen Buddhists to the Lord's word. :rolleyes::doah::banghead: They'll save us all so they think. Fools on a mission.

Cent

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the innuendo, though:

Unless your post was about people being impolite in general (and just happening to be thais as you witnessed that morning) I'd understand you telling me this, but I do believe your post was about your title as well, and you meant to say that there is something about being impolite and being thai, as in:

"I have encountered many instances where Thai people show great consideration and respect for elderly within their family but this in my opinion is a different subject from politeness in daily life".

Then, you say (about helping elders in difficulty):

"I believe this is a universal truth and that any society that doesn't adhere to this universal truth is defective in that regard".

It is rather simple for you to tell us if you think thai society is defective then, or that some instances of behaviour , such as you noticed, may not have to rush us to judgement.

My "innuendo", as you say, came from these precise points you wrote, which indeed, no big deal really, can have one assume your mind is made up about thai society being defective (in that regard).

There seems to be no end to your distortion, mind reading etc.

From your most recent reply in response to my reply to you:[/color] ::

" Unless your post was about people being impolite in general (and just happening to be thais as you witnessed that morning) I'd understand you telling me this, but I do believe your post was about your title as well, and you meant to say that there is something about being impolite and being thai, as in:

"I have encountered many instances where Thai people show great consideration and respect for elderly within their family but this in my opinion is a different subject from politeness in daily life".

Then, you say (about helping elders in difficulty):

"I believe this is a universal truth and that any society that doesn't adhere to this universal truth is defective in that regard". [color:"blue"] :: ".

So, for the last time, in response to your latest:

You have the audacity to tell me what I was thinking when I wrote my post and you quote from my responses to replies to "prove" your point.

Firstly, I do not like being told what I was thinking. My post was quite specific and clear. Secondly, quoting from my replies to other replies, which by its very nature is taking statements out of context, to attempt to prove conclusions you draw as to what I was thinking, is another example of your mind reading (previously having read the mind of the Thai businessman mentioned in my original). Thirdly, the quotes from my replies, which you have taken out of context, both address the treatment of elderly people and neither discuss Thai people in general and obviously do not address any conclusion about the politeness of Thai people in a general sense. As a matter of fact, I never even concluded that lack of consideration of elderly people was a behavior exhibited by Thai people, in general. I simply offered the opinion that lack of consideration of elderly in general social situations by any society would be impolite, as I see it.

As I asked before, "Please keep your speculations, distortions, innuendos and mind reading to yourself.".

Lastly, the title of my post and my post were simple and not ambiguous. If you would like to comment specifically on my title and post and not engage in speculations, distortions, innuendos and mind reading, feel free. [color:"blue"] [/color]

I simply offered the opinion that lack of consideration of elderly in general social situations by any society would be impolite, as I see it.

----------------------------------

Got it! a board bar thread i mistakingly thought was about a discussion on politeness, specific to thai people, for seeing the word thai in the title, in GD.

Apologies.

Cent said:

Easy,

BTW, I do see the JW's around here in Surin, but have yet to have them come knocking on my door. Usually a couple young guys in white shortsleeve shirts and dark long pants riding their bicycles around the city in their dorky looking crash helmets. :: :D Youthful proselytizers aiming to convert the heathen Buddhists to the Lord's word. :rolleyes::doah::banghead: They'll save us all so they think. Fools on a mission.

Cent

Those are Mormons. That is their standard attire when on mission work. I think every Mormon is required to take one year and do the spreading.

P127: Just don't care for hypocrisy. I don't pretend to feel or think otherwise just to be "nice," but the Thais are hypocritical when it comes to Buddhism. I couldn't care less if they were good Buddhists or not, just don't go around saying you are, then being the impolite, anti-Buddhist gits they tend to be.

David66UK said:

I had noticed the door thing as well.

However I do remember a few years back I was entering a Dept store (can't remember which one) and they had uniformed doorman on duty who opened the door and saluted - I automatically stopped and looked behind me, expecting someone important.....twas only me :o

LOL. I was taking some language courses at the Times Square Building near Sukhumvit Soi 12. The Thai instructors (all ladies) complained jokingly (but true) that the Times Square doorman always opened the entrance door and saluted farangs and foreign Asians, but never the Thais that worked there.

Archived