education and work for thai girls

Before I met her she earned some 20k+ monthly.

Then she eventually quit thinking it'd be better spending more time with me, getting a few language, massage etc. courses under her belt(not free!) & her ultimate dream is to top up he degree with an international master preferably from english speaking country :rolleyes:

Oh did I mention she earns now nada zip nul nothing!

Hopefully there's still hope :dunno:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've met more than a few providers, both working the bars and freelancers, who know their way around Microsoft Word and Excell better than many farangs.

Computer schools make up a sizeable industry around Bangkok and Pattaya, probably 4 out of 5 of their students having their bills payed by one of us, grasping at any possibility to give a girl a better shot at life. Sadly, finding a job using their newly acquired skills is less than likly, positions are scarce and the pay is low; most end up back in the "business".

the path from 'provider' via courses to 'regular' (well paying) jobs can be a tough one within LOS.

now take her to farangland & it can be even tougher although e.g. in english speaking countries unskilled jobs can probably be picked up relatively easy if shes up for it...

now for the educated TG who have no problems finding relatively good jobs in bkk it can be a frustrating struggle in the west - at least initially...

just generalisations or even wild shots I guess nothing scientific :)

My wife earned 6,000 baht a month working 3 to 11pm 6 days a week at a semi-conductor manufacturer as a semi-skilled machine operator. I would have to meet her everynight at midnight at the sky train station. Eventually, I had enough and asked her to quit her job and now I give her a monthly stipend.

This has been going on for a few months and is fine for now but might become too boring for her eventually.

Flashermac said:

...Also, virtually all of the noodle vendors have disappeared from the streets in my neighbourhood. Walking home from shopping at the nearest 7-11 last night, I couldn't help but notice how quiet it seemed. Vendors gone, shops closed ... methinks the economy is not in such good shape at the moment. ::

That would have been Monday night? (your post was on Tuesday, 8-Nov) Street Vendors aren't not allowed to be open on Mondays.

Wouldn't base my assesment of the Thai economy on what you saw on a Monday night.

TH

I don't know your wife, but instead of a stipend would it be an idea to try & qualify her for some better jobs if shes not too old?

language courses fx?

being on a salary requiring nothing from her is not such a good idea IMO.

At least you should put her thru the thai massage course that she can complete within a month at wat po & she'll be even higher skilled in the bedroom ;)

I've been thinking about this a lot as well, for my GF. One thing I've noticed is the unbelievable abundance of thai people in our neighborhood who will pay ridiculous interest rates to borrow money.

I've seen it go as high as 20%/month...however, i'm told that you'll have a line up at your door if you can lend money at 5%/month! Also told that if you do that too openly, you have to be careful from the lenders lending at the higher rates as you'll be stealing business.

So I thinks to myself, why not 'invest' 200-300k into this scheme...at 5% / month, 300k is going to net her 15k/month in interest. If she's wise, she could re-invest a % each month and grow the principle...

Anyone thought about this route? My concerns in doing this are the following:

a) Legality. Can she/I do this here...? Can we inc. a company to do it properly? Or is it best to keep it under the table - if its legal, theres going to be limits on interest rates (probably below the 5%/mo you can net under the table).

B) Security. Tied to A). If its illegal, can't exactly go to the 'saan' and try and collect on a defaulted borrower. if it is legal, i wonder what success rate you're going to have at collecting 10k-20k from a default customer.

c) mafia connection? Anyone think this is a real concern?

d) trust your GF - she could piss off with the principle...but ultimatly its a cheap investment (100-300k?) for potentially high returns.

e) Doing it 'my' way. I know if I did this with the GF, she'd want to do it her way..ie no contracts, no records keeping, no committments from the borrowers to pay back. I'd want to run it with the precision of a swiss bank...record keeping, contracts, payment schedules. Big thing is the customers would probably prefer line of credit style financing...and not want to commit to a princple payback schedule.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I recall some talk in bangkok post about lending companies needing 30million in capital and the lending rates being restricted to something like30-40% / year. Even 40%/yr is highwayrobbery...anyone want to pool some capital and start a mainstream lending institution? Then again...what's the national inflation rate?

TomYumLing

inflation rate probably above 5% & as you've outlined there's a few 'minor' problems involved like probability of money due actually being paid i.e. losses, which probably is the reason alternative lenders have to run such high rates ;)

chok dee

p.s. I know of guys who successfully joins in on a monthly base in thai lending 'clubs' in farangland(scandinavia) & typically collect some 10% returns tax free of course :hubba:

key thing here is an 'insider' who runs how to run such a biz efficiently the 'thai way'!

p.p.s. if you decide/manage to come up with a viable biz plan I might want to join you if my wife approves

I've actually have had a little familiarity with this.

The rates are so high because they can get away with it. The borrowers don't have other recourse. Unfortunately, unless you really do your due diligence to lend wisely, you will need the threat of force to get your money and/or repossess assets (indeed if the people you lend to have any assets).

If you're doing this on the sly, don't even think you can fly under the radar of the local loan shark. This is his/her living. It's lucrative. And don't kid yourself, this person has muscle or is under someone who does and guess where it will be directed if you open shop?

Unless you want to go the real legit route of setting up a company blah blah blah, don't even go here.

Look into opening a comic book shop (150k) or something in your neighborhood that isn't there now.

<<burp>>

Just realised I gave up studies too early and would apprecaite beeing further educated by a young sexy thai lady. In the same time she'd get a rather nice job. Please PM!

Random, always an helping hand ::

Archived