education and work for thai girls

I don't live in Thailand so therefore have not had to deal with this day to day - but I get the impression that their is a ceiling to what folks will be allowed to do without often being massively overqualified with a degree etc, just to get started.

I think in practice the best way for her to have the chance to really progress is to be her own boss and if I was in your shoes I would look to any learning she does being geared towards this goal whether this is formal or informal training or just learning small scale whilst "on the job" with an eye on the future.

Of course all this is easier said than done.............

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this. I see little point Thais working 29 days out of 31 in a shit job for shit money and being treated like shit unless they have to. If you can set your mrs up in something then do that. My mrs earned B7k when i met her running a shop from 9AM to 11PM single handed. I was earning good money but we couldn't even go out at night or away for a weekend. In the end it was better for me to give her a salary so we could enjoy our time together. We have kids now but she wants to go back to work next year when the nipper starts school but i will set her up in something and try and hrelp her get it going. I appreciate not all have that chance or opportunity.

It is heart-breaking seeing so many people try so hard and get fuck all. The Thai degree (worth toilet paper but somehow respected by the Thais - so many of them that workred for me turned out to be totally useless but proudly boasted a degree from Chula or similar)seems to be the key. I worked in an ofice a few years ago where we needed a receptionist just to answer the phone and make guests a coffee while they waited. I asked my staff what we needed and they almost in concert shouted'must have a bachelors degree'. Why I asked ,You must have one', was the answer.

Imagine their dismay when our maid on contract fom one of the big name service providing companies came to me and said her daughter who had just completed vocational college would like to apply. Even worse/better, she was very presentable (cute even), had basic English and was the best of 4 candidates I interviewed, 3 having bachelors. What is more she needed the job as her father had pissed off at her birth and the mother struggled to bring her up by being a cleaner - needing the job is a big factor I have found in Thailand where many 20 somethings do not seem to need a job and their ultimate ain is to run the family business one day.

So I gave the maid's daughter the job. Pissed the staff off good and proper so fuck them. She is still there and I am told earning B12k now, not bad money for a young girl of say 22, so a happy ending.

I know a young Thai teacher in a government school who makes 10,500 baht a month. He has a Master of Science. Needless to say, he is not too motivated in his teaching -- which is one of the reasons that the Thai education system has problems. Seems to be a worldwide tradition to pay teachers crap salaries though. :(

whosyourdaddy said:

Go to the Franchise fair and pick something up .. noodle stand- 30K-50K up to a 7-11 at 1.5 million. No sense in wasting time and money in making someone else rich

You obviously have not looked into a Seven Eleven franchise! That 1.5 million baht is only for 2 or 3 years (forget which), when it must be renewed again. Plus you have to buy your stock from 7-11 and give them a sizeable hunk of your profits at the end of each month, not to mention that your franchise seems to be good for only your side of the street and about 50 meters on each side of it. (There used to be four of them within easy walking distance of my apartment. One went bust, and now I have to be satisfied with just three.)

If you have 1.5 million and more to invest, you could get the same return by letting it draw interest as you would by getting a 7-11, and have your principal still intact at the end of that franchise! A friend looked into setting one up for his GF, but quickly decided to give it a pass. But it might be worthwhile to set up something similar to a 7-11 in a village where there was none.

Also, virtually all of the noodle vendors have disappeared from the streets in my neighbourhood. Walking home from shopping at the nearest 7-11 last night, I couldn't help but notice how quiet it seemed. Vendors gone, shops closed ... methinks the economy is not in such good shape at the moment. ::

Archived