education and work for thai girls

ThaiHome said:

That would have been Monday night? (your post was on Tuesday, 8-Nov) Street Vendors aren't not allowed to be open on Mondays.

Wouldn't base my assesment of the Thai economy on what you saw on a Monday night.

TH

It is EVERY night now. I do notice that the police have drawn new white rectangles on the pavement though. One vendor a couple of years ago told me it cost 3,000 baht a month to rent one of those spaces ... from the police! (Nice to know the police own the city sidewalks.) Possibly they have upped their fees and as a result driven off most of the vendors?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"At least you should put her thru the thai massage course that she can complete within a month at wat po & she'll be even higher skilled in the bedroom."

This is actually one of the free courses in Suam Lum (temporarilly at Prathunam Center (1 year) as Suan Lum goes under renovation. And, my wife will probalby take this course, she is now taking some kind of painting course called bpa dtik or something like that.

Also, she has taken one English language course at AUA and will resume her language studies in January.

The problem with most employment for Thai ladies is that they must work 6 days a week and for miniscual pay. Actually, I don't care about the pay very much, not that I am wealthy but we have enough to live comfortablely. It is the time I care about most. If she could work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day that would be great. But, most Thai ladies must work 6 days a week and those working in "legit" massage parlors work 12 hours a day.

One of my wife's friends, who also works at the semi-conductor manufacturing company must work a large amount of overtime. Often 2 shifts in a day. This friend recently completed University degree and is now studying to work in a government office where she will be paid next to nothing but will have a more reasonable work week.

So, it seems in most cases, if you have a Thai wife, it comes down to a choice between her not working or working so many hours (days) that she has very little free time.

Thanks guys for your imput, I think it maybe best for her to stay home at the moment, long working hours plus the travel time will probably make her more unhappy than being bored shitless at home.

She did an English course somewhere in Sukhumvit, enjoyed that and would like to learn some computer skills.

That should keep her out of trouble for a while.

I see what you're saying 100% - more than anything financially smaller courses etc.(as she's already been attending) could probably help her from getting too bored or lazy whatever, but it was merely a suggestion.

Seems like you already worked out the golden middleway for the 2 of you.

Have fun :)

I notice prices creeping up almost constantly.

e.g.

- bus fare 3.5 baht at the beginning of the year, now 6 baht

- boat fare from my landing to the Sirirat Hospital landing, from 6 baht to 9 baht

- ferry across the river, 2 baht to 3 baht

- noodles, khao man gai, fried rice etc from vendors gone from 20 baht to 25 baht

- dish detergent from 10 baht to 12

- yogurt from 10 baht to 11

- bag of peanuts in Seven Eleven from 5 baht to 6

etc etc

Now to us, this slight rise means nothing (except ending up with a pocket full of 1 baht coins). But it certainly must to a Thai who is bringing home 3,000 or 4,000 baht a month!

you must be talking upscale restaurants mostly?

over the 8 years I've visizted frequently I hardly see any price increase apart perhaps the girls & a few other items, but certainly nowhere near 6-7% yearly???

taximeter still same same except I believe a sligt increase in idle time rate?

fruit & drinks stalls still sell per item 10bt.

airport tax still at 500bt.

just my 25satang worth

Archived