education and work for thai girls

My wife is from Surin and now lives in BKK, not much schooling, worked as a waitress, bar tender, baby sitter, all those low paid un-skilled jobs.

She has been looking for work for a while but most jobs dont even cover the taxi fare for the month, if anyone could help me with some ideas as to where she may find some work that doesnt involve sex or alcohol, Im sure even Bangkok has normal work, maybe.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most jobs dont even cover the taxi fare for the month

How strange, why even consider using a taxi if she can't afford it? Taxi's are the most expensive public transport. Use something more appropriate like a 4 baht bus. Most Thai's in Bangkok do get by on the 5000 baht range a month, and they have to.

Yes, the taxi was just to get the point across, buses and motorbikes are the usual mode of transport for her.

4 or 5 thousand bart a month is all most jobs pay and thats ok unless you have mum and dad asking for stuff all the time, then it gets a bit hard, anyway she and I would both prefer a job nearbye in Ratchada. There are a few hotels and shopping centres there but unless you know someone its a little hard to get a look in. I think there is a little bit of a class thing going on no-one will really comment on it.

I think there is a little bit of a class thing going

A class barrier? Bangkok would screech to a halt if it were not for all the hard working poor villagers from Surin and elsewhere. They come to Bangkok soley for the jobs as there is almost no work to be found where they come from. They will take on all the tough jobs urban Thai's do not want to do. She can also find more comfortable jobs at hotels, shopping centers, and salons of which there are a lot of villagers working. Thai's openly discriminate on age, sex, and looks. If she is young and pretty, she will have much more opportunities at these nicer jobs. If on the other end of the scale, she may be sweeping streets, maid, etc.

4 or 5 thousand baht a month...ok unless you have mum and dad asking for stuff all the time

Thai's back in the village often live in an extended family and usually have revenue streams coming from multiple family members working in Bangkok that they spread across the extended family to make do. The sad reality is no matter how much they get, they will want more and have already spent it before they get it. Sex workers may send back 20K a month to parents, but there is no limit to bad loans and gambling to waste every baht. More will always be wanted, but whatever she can come up with they will make do with.

Unfortunately, most jobs open to Thai women do not pay much at all. Several of my friends have sent their BG girlfriend of the moment to study hairdressing or to be a seamstress, thinking to get them out of the bars. But when the gals realised they were working fairly hard for only 3,000 or 4,000 baht a month, they eventually went back to the easy money of the bars.

Even university educated government school teachers will make around 9,000 to 10,000 baht a month for their first few years. I have seen grads of "name" universities who were delighted to get a job as an airline ground hostess or something that paid them 12,000 baht. And those jobs weren't easy to get either.

My ex-neighbour did have a maid quit on him for a better job. Seems she was buying T-shirts and other clothing in Bangkok and taking it to sell in Khorat. She made much better money than she did as a maid. Your Mrs might consider something like that.

Hi,

"Several of my friends have sent their BG girlfriend of the moment to study hairdressing or to be a seamstress, thinking to get them out of the bars. But when the gals realised they were working fairly hard for only 3,000 or 4,000 baht a month, they eventually went back to the easy money of the bars."

Uh... hairdressers make quite a bit more than 3-4K nowadays. My wife pays her niece 6,000 Baht/month, the girl makes another 2,000-ish in tips and lives in the shop for free.

From what I understand a decent hairdresser makes 7-8K, a good one can make double that or more.

Sanuk!

Archived