LAPTOP

FAT_AUSSIE

Laptops-new.

can anyone recommend a place in BKK preferably or maybe even Chiang Mai where I can buy a new laptop. Are there any things about buying a lap top in LOS I shoud really be aware of as opposed to just buying one here in OZ. Are there any big name computer stores(chains)???

We have small computer stores in my province(Udit)but I'm thinking maybee I can get some sort of better deal in the big smoke...I'm a little bit suspicious of smaller type vendors but I would prefer purchasing some thing close to home and finally in my list of dumbarse questions, is the price fairly universal across LOS for a generic type laptops???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to Pantip or Fortune in BKK; Tukcom in Pattaya and I've not a clue where in Chiang Mai.

Yet, you probably would get a better price back in OZ, especially online if there are Internet suppliers in the land of sheep...

Prices for laptops are closer to western prices than they were a year ago, but still on the high side for what you get.

Remember also that most tech gear purchased in Thailand, from laptops to cameras come with Thai only warranty's, which arn't that great to begin with.

Notebooks are more prone to defects than desktops and should probably be purchased in the country where they will be used the most.

FAT_AUSSIE said:

Thanks guys, its the thai/english keyboard im after in the laptop really... soundslike much of a muchness, i think I'll just choose the largest com shop in Udit...

If that's all you are after, then buy the laptop at home and buy a set of keypad stickers here to add the Thai characters to it. Cost ya about B20.

FYI, the keyboard hardware is exactly the same. It is the software that makes it type in Thai (or whatever language).

Cheers,

SD

You can buy an English/Thi keyboard for a mere 150-300-Bt. The Thai stickers are fine for a while but will come loose and fall off in time.

Get a keyboard that will plug into a USB slot...

• 2 weeks later...

If you're buying it to use in the land of OZ, just be mindful of the AC power adapter. It'll probably be 220V (which should be okay for OZ), but make sure the frequency (?, am I right here Black Tiger?) is 60Hz. You can then just replace the AC power adapter cord or use a converter plug in OZ.

Archived