October's winners

khunsanuk

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Stick! Just as well I don't offer places or you;d clear me out.

I have to say that your entries was basically the only ones that both filled the definition of portrait as i know it, sharp, in focus, would have prefered a single person rather than a couple and posed verticle but as a couple it was good, have to be horasontal.

2nd and 3rd (127's and yours again!) I think wouuld have been better vertical.

Dam guess this makes giving you the beer laos and tequila easy!

DOG

nice to have an old pix (1991, poy san long festival, Mae Hong Son) gather a laurel.

Maybe the experience of seeing 1000s of pix since i got heavily into photography, but I had a good feeling the winner was Stick's. He usually takes good care of what he sees in his framing and shoots while conveying with simplicity what he felt. Old lady was less impressive, IMO, but i think the theme moved from characters to portraits in people's minds.

I hope he tells us who they are, and where it was taken. my (wild) guess is you know these people, Stick. Your wife's grand-Ps or uncle/auntie?

My entries were lame, but the Katoey on the motor bike at Soi cowboy. self explanatory of what he is, and what he does/where...the other is a local Thai girl/luk kreung who is a pretty good fighter. The guy adjusting her head gear is Bunkerd Fairtex, a former Lumpini and Rajadamdern Champ, he runs a training camp here in the bay area.

Yep, congrats in order for the winners !!! (And clear winners they were.)

Since OH gave some background to his entries, I?ll do the same.

Ms Hoy at age 26

12aa.jpg

This is the first pic I took of her 30 minutes after we were introduced. She?s 21 here:

12b.jpg

Took this picture earlier this year. Noi and her 4 year-old son. Noi is 35 here.

13a.jpg

Noi was my ?main squeeze? when she was a 19 year-old dancer at the Darling Bar in 1989.

13b.jpg

And Noi, at age 21, graduating from Manusak hair school. Noi never cut hair, but never went back to the bar. Has been working at a university for over 10 years now and has been with her Thai husband since about 1991.

13d.jpg

Anyway, thanks to all who shared their pics. Again, congratuations to the winners.

HH

P.S. For November?s contest, I?m gonna pose an OLD, OLD, OLD, near-naked ladyboy in a temple picture. "She" will be providing the monks with their morning offering. Of course, I?ll make sure "her" nipples aren?t exposed. :neener:

Archived