the cost of glasses!!

keith doug

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eye glasses.

I have been purchasing my glasses in Thailand for over 15 years now. There are different types of optical stores. Some will include an eye test.

I always have a prescription in my pocket from my opthamologist. Always, the eye-test machine in Thailand has matched the prescription in my pocket.

Or they can just match the glasses you are wearing now.

I have purchased eye glasses in Thailand and had the frames break 6 years later, and when I bring them back to store of purchase, repaired for free. Now, that's good service.

Last trip I purchased 3 pair in Thailand (from 3 different establishments) and one pair in Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh was by far cheaper. But back to Thailand, the going price for me was about US $40.00. Frame, scratch resistant lens, and color/tinted lens.

But some storefronts that sell eye glasses do not have the technician to adjust the fit. Some make eye glasses on site while others send out.

I find an eye glass store that can make them immediately and adjust them same time.

My eye glasses are for distance. So if you are getting bi/tri-focals then price will adjust somewhat.

If you get into titanium or other fancy frames, then price goes up.

My latest pair of glasses was 5,500 baht including lenses.

The manager was nice. Lenses were 3,000 baht. 1.67 high index polycarbonate or whatever.

The frames were 4,000 or 5,000 baht. I forget.

This is Thailand so they had a sale promotion. Buy one frame and lenses, and get a second frame free. NO lenses. I can't wear two pairs of glasses. Second frame as a backup with no lenses doesn't make sense (and I'm not that fashion conscious to have two pairs of glasses).

So the manager astutely knocked the price down on one frame with lenses instead of losing the sale.

Thus 5,500 baht.

Far cry from my Oliver Peoples frames that set me back 32,000 baht a number of years ago.

<<burp>>

Lenses are excellent quality here in Thailand and loads cheaper than in Europe.

Frames similar.

A German friend of mine together with opticians from various other European countries. have a factory near BKK and they export lenses back to Europe. Good busines.

I told my story here before as well..... Lost my expensive glasses on newyearsday in a wave..... titanium frame, progressive glasses, cylinder, axis, plastic, scrachtfree and colored.

Costed 55K Bt in Belgium 5 years ago.

Very good pair with customemade glasses in BKK ready in 2 working days, all in 10K Bt.

Will buy 2 more pairs next month......

BB

Archived