the cost of glasses!!

keith doug

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update.......

last monday in BKK I went to BetterVision in Emporium and got shite service.

Those guys did not not what to do and actually run away.

Even one guy claimed that for progressive glasses, a min height of 35-36 mm was needed, whereas I know a min of 26 mm is required.

We left and went across to Eyelab where we could not find suitable models.....

I got tired of this, so only yesterday we did go to the Top Charoen shop right in front of the Emporium, between soi 33/1 and soi 35 (I think).

Great service, best models, best prices, and cute gals to top all......

I'll recommend it to all.

Of to more shopping, tonight xmas service and tomorrow to the north.....

BB

• 4 weeks later...

Can I present my English eye perscription to a Thai optician??

Will he/she, be able to understand it?

I could get my eyes tested in LOS, but the language barriers may cause misunderstandings.

In England for a good frame, thin and light plastic lenses, clear anti reflective coating and hard coating, I'd pay beween £200 and £250. How much in Bangkok??

I might buy two pairs and that could help offset cost of airfare.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

In 1969 I worked as an optical technician for a top local optician. It was an easy job to shorten any side pieces to fit just by changing them with spares. For plastic ones we used to heat, cut and reshape for an exact fit. The profit margins on frames was then and I'm sure still is, enormous ie bought for 5 shillings sold for 5 guineas (now thats going back a bit) One reason why I tend to get the cheap crappy ones. 1000 baht for lens and frames suits me. I would not trust a thai optician to test but dispensing seems vey good. I got the sack by the way :(

Archived