the cost of glasses!!

keith doug

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be interested in knowing the cost for a pair of eyeglases in PP.

For Bangkok, I have purchased a pair for 1840 baht, including a clip on. I find selecting frames is more of a problem. I would bring my own frame and have lenses made. Clear lenses range from 200 (regular) to 350 for (hard, non-scratch) lenses which is pretty much a bargain. I have purchased an inexpensive frame at MBK and had perscription sunglasses lenses all for 650 baht, another bargain.

The shape of the avereage farang head can be quite a problem. the earpieces on most frames here are quite short, meaning they have to ride up on top of the farang's ear. When looking at those frames in the mirror, be sure to glance back at your ear and see if they go back behind it or not. It's NOT just a matter of bending the earpiece straighter, because that can change the angle of the lenses and make you not see so well, especially if your eyes are sensitive to that sort of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago I bought glasses for the third time in four years here. I go to Beautiful Optic in Pattaya.

It didn't register with me as I was being told the price, but the price was a lot higher than what I had paid before. I became suspicious that there was a double pricing system for glasses and I asked a Thai friend. She said farang pay about 30% or so more than Thai.

I'm not sure that dual pricing for glasses is new, or that they have just raised prices. I will go back soon and ask about getting another pair and try to negotiate the price. Good damn luck!

Archived