CNN or BBC News?

MooNoi

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neo said:

None of the above! I watch them less than ever before, now getting my news by the internet. I can see what's in the news in a glance, then pick and choose what news to read and what to ignore. CNN & BBC is largely a waste of time checking the weather in london, analyzing the nyse and ftse, the latest bomb in iraq, and just too much repetitive garbage I don't consider news at all. Only very occasionally are there good news storys, like when they dedicate a program Foreign Correspondants.

I too was stunned the day of the tsunami. It was little more than a footnote on CNN, barely a mention leaving me stunned. It was as if it was an annoyance that was taking a few precious seconds away from all that other "important" news they show every 30 minutes.

Agree with you. I use the Internet.

Don't have much experience of CNN but the BBC is particularly annoying for thinking it is impartial when, as a state-supported non-commercial broadcaster, it obviously attracts staff who are politically left of centre. As Robin Aitken, a BBC reporter for 25 years says in an interview here : "I remember being in the Washington office during the Lewinsky affair and saying that I rather sympathised with the Republicans. I think it would have gone down better if I?d confessed to being a paedophile.? ::

BBC more than CNN. At least BBC ackowledges there is a rest of the world.

As for more repeats, hmm. I think they are much the same.

But one thing that annoys the hell out of me is the sports reports on CNN, they give you 2 results then goes more results later and goes to the other sport which gets two results and then goes to another sort and then two results....... What a cheap and fecking annoying trick to make you watch the full program.

DW I like, I just need to remember which hour is english. It is refreshing to get a different perspective.

At the moment, in my room I have BBC, DW, NHK which I cant really be bothered watching as it mainly has home japanese news and recently they have put on CCTV9 - the chinese english channel. I dont know what its like yet.

ALHOLK said:

I too was stunned the day of the tsunami. It was little more than a footnote on CNN

It was obviously of no interest to them until Americans were confirmed dead.

that's what I said. CNN is not really international, since it's main audience is US based. BBC is much more interested in countries (Africa, Asia, you name it) out side the US sphere..

PS: this is pure speculation, but I guess that mostly Amercians voted for CNN... (and this is not US bashing, just that of course they prefer CNN since the program reports mostly about US matters)

I'll take BBC.

1) Not personality driven.

2) Not obsessed by statistics and size.

3) More nuanced than simple black-white conflict, winners and losers.

4) The presenters seem to know the locations of the places

they are talking about and may have actually been there.

5) Its news, not junk food.

6) It assumes that I went beyond Grade 6.

That said, CNN seems to be improving. They are finally showing a bit of spine re: Bushbaby

khwaimaisabai said:
carew66 said:

If you depended on the BB fuckin' C for news you'd think the rioting in France was just juvenile high spirits.

Hi carew,

Before this, and the stuff in Birmingham a few weeks ago, I would have stuck with BBC. Their reporting of both events was inaccurate and bisaed by stupid PC attitudes. BBC is not to be relied on any more if they describe the rioters in France as "French youths", omitting the very relevant fact that they are all of North African origin.

Khwai

Wrong.

Many many of Black African origin. "French youths" is truthful. Saying what you said would not be.

Archived