Aussies finally in World Cup

bust

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as you say different Countries and Bookies will offer many different odds.

these are the latest odds from one of the largest chain of Bookies here in the UK.

Brazil 3/1

Argentina 6/1

England 7/1

Germany 7/1

Italy 7/1

Holland 9/1

France 11/1

Spain 12/1

Portugal 20/1

Sweden 25/1

Czech Republic 28/1

Croatia 50/1

Ivory Coast 50/1

Serbia and Montenegro 50/1

Ukraine 50/1

Mexico 66/1

Paraguay 66/1

Poland 80/1

USA 80/1

Australia 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Ecuador 125/1

Japan 125/1

Korea Republic 150/1

Ghana 200/1

Tunisia 200/1

Iran 250/1

Costa Rica 350/1

Togo 350/1

Angola 500/1

Saudi Arabia 500/1

Trinidad and Tobago 750/1

the Aussies are way down the list and i see my Spain are bigger favourites than Zaad's beloved Portugal.

Sayjann,

Sorry to say but those UK bookies obviously know fuck all!

Well.. IMHO :)

WHat the hell has Spain achieved to have more odds of winning the title than say Portugal, Sweden or Czech Republic.

Or even Ukraine.

Those countries haven't done worse recently at tournaments and qualification included.

And Ivory Coast???????? 50-1?? Same odds as Ukraine and Croatia?

More chance than the likes of Poland or Mexico? Or even the Korean who did fairly well last WC? I'd rate USA even better than that.

What a load of Bullshit!

Time for another beer me thinks.

:beer:

don't forget the Bookies only set a rough guide when they open a Book.

then the amount of Money going on means the odds change all the time,a lot of those Teams had rather different odds on Thursday Morning.

and what with Online Betting these Days i'll have a bet with you that many People Worldwide will have a bet on their Website.

i think Spain's odds reflect how People see their Squad.

i am a Neutral and like others think Spain has a much more balanced Squad than Portugal and i honestly see them going quite far.

:doah:

why don't you go the whole hog and deride the fact that the Aussies are not 2-1 Favourites?.

England traditionally go into the Finals with one of the best Squads but just seem to lack conviction or have that self-belief.

i think that along with the Dutch they have the best Squad among the Europeans.

the England Squad at the moment is a strong one and even though i don't really follow them i think they will do well.

France are in transition and i admit i don't know much about the Italians.

the Germans have a young Squad these Days and being the Home Nation will be dangerous.

Brazil and Argentina were always going to be among the more favoured Teams and i really cannot see the Winner being any Team other then the one's i have mentioned.

Finals in Europe suit the European Teams and as someone pointed out earlier the only South American Team to win in Europe have been Brazil.

at the moment i think the odds are close to how the Teams will perform.

i still think Brazil will win but i think out of the last 8,6 will be European Teams.

and i have an idea for a Competition in which i will put up a prize of a crate of Beer of your choice whatever Country you live in.

more later.

WHat the hell has Spain achieved to have more odds of winning the title than say Portugal, Sweden or Czech Republic.

Or even Ukraine.

Those countries haven't done worse recently at tournaments and qualification included.

And Ivory Coast???????? 50-1?? Same odds as Ukraine and Croatia?

More chance than the likes of Poland or Mexico? Or even the Korean who did fairly well last WC? I'd rate USA even better than that.

What a load of Bullshit!

Time for another beer me thinks.

It's always time for another beer!

The good thing about odds like this, is that a few well placed bets are often quite profitable, especially with fixed odds as if often the case with sports other than racing.

Remember the odds have nothing to do with the teams' ability, they go by how much money is bet on all teams. So if nobody backs Brazil for example, they will have the highest odds. Obviously plenty have put their money on Brazil, so they pay less.

As far as Aus is concerned, I think Sayjarn's table places them in a more appropriate position, but find it strange Korea and Japan are ranked below Oz, as they did quite well last time.

It'll be good... looks like I might get to the WC... via LOS (and UK) of course. If I can wait that long for a holiday.

Sayjann,

I think Spain's odds reflect how People see their Squad.

i am a Neutral and like others think Spain has a much more balanced Squad than Portugal and i honestly see them going quite far.

You only say that to piss me off, right? :onfire:

Spain has had a piss poor qualification, needed to qualify by means of play off and had a 5-1 home victory.

That was the only decent game they had in 15+ games (including their crappy 2004 performance in Portugal - nice victory that one btw and personally kicked Spain out hehehe :beer: )

More balanced squad? No way! Of course they might get lucky and have a better tournament, since (after all) it's just a tournament played over 2-3 weeks. The best may not always win, but I disagree with Spain having a 'better' squad.

That doesn't surprise you, does it? :)

Archived