Child Sex Charges v Heroin Trafficking.

bust

Given Garry Glitter could face the firing squad for the latest allegations made against him, how does that compare to someone trying to smuggle around 400 grams of dope out of Singapore. Given the penalty is the same and putting aside the different countries involved thought it might be interesting to see how others view this. :rip:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Lee Kuan Yew is your dad and he has taken a personal interest in you being elected, or, you are in some way challenging the status quo with the Peoples Action Party, the legal system in Singapore is pretty straight. You are fucked and if the penalty is death there is a police unit of Ghurkhas who will carry out the sentence.

You cannot buy your way out of it.

Most other countries allow for a flexible interpretation of the law and anything is possible.

If you have the money...

Singapore hangman wants out

THE man due to execute convicted Australian drug trafficker Van Tuong Nguyen in Singapore is a 73-year-old grandfather who can't retire because no-one will take his job.

The Singaporean government looks set to take the 25-year-old Melbourne man to the gallows, after rejecting his appeal for clemency last Friday.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has made a last ditch attempt to save Nguyen's life, but says he has little hope the Australian will be spared.

Singapore's chief executioner Darshan Singh, who has hanged more than 850 prisoners in his 46 years in the role, is due to place the rope around Nguyen's neck, The Australian newspaper reported today.

He will say: "I am going to send you to a better place than this. God bless you."

The newspaper says Singh wants to leave his job but authorities cannot find a replacement.

Advertisement:

Singh is not permitted by law to speak publicly about his job.

But a colleague told the newspaper: "He tried to train two would-be hangmen to replace him, a Malaysian and a Chinese, both in the prison service.

"But when it came to pulling the lever for the real thing, they both froze and could not do it.

"The Chinese guy, a prison officer, became so distraught he walked out immediately and resigned from the prison service altogether."

Nguyen was caught with 396g of heroin strapped to his body and in his hand luggage at Singapore's Changi airport in 2002.

He is expected to be hanged in the next four to six weeks.

http://tinyurl.com/dkxy3

If I (and I NEVER would) was going to be involved in the importing or exporting of drugs to or from any country I would as the very least make every attempt to familiarise myself with the laws and penalties for my actions in those countries involved.

The man has taken Heroin to Singapore.

are they executing him for drugs traffiking or just how stupid he is?

sorry to be harsh given the young mans predicament, but this is a serious crime that he has committed and that could have brought about the deaths of many more people than just himself.

Sucked in 555.

What the penalty is way down the list to people who deal in drugs. Profit motive is first by a long country mile. Markets dictate drug dealing.

As for the original question. I can't get my head around child molestation. Don't get me wrong. If I had a daughter hooked on drugs, I would want 5 mins alone with the person who gave her the drugs. However, for the guy who molested my daughter...well, 5 mins is not NEARLY enough.

There are one or two people I know who reguraly smoke pot in the states, even do a little bit harder drugs but would NEVER consider taking some into the kingdom. They simply don't need to do it bad enough for the potential problems if caught. They can do without. Personally, if you feel you must risk taking drugs to Singapore or other countries with stringent laws, you have a substance abuse problem. Its simply not worth it. The consequences should be sobering enough for most of us.

Van Tuong Nguyen was in transit when arrested so there was never the intent to import anything to Singapore. The Singapore Government I believe have a very chummy relationship with probably the biggest heroin dealer in the world. Don't know his name but he is a son of one of the Burmese Generals I believe. Runs business from an office in Singapore and is refused entry into US, Cananda and several other countries. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has made a last ditch attempt to save Nguyen's life, but says he has little hope the Australian will be spared. What a piss poor effort too I bet. I'm shore the fact that Van Tuong Nguyen is Asian is playing a big part in the efforts, or lack of in trying to save his life. The reality is GG will probably worm his way out of his predicament and continue to tamper with kiddies.

Interesting info here Bust, heard recently that singaporean banks are very much involved in financing burmese drug traffickers. Sure can't double check it but interestingly while most people I deal with in Asia are using HK and Taiwan for offshore transactions some burmese chinese I know are using sing banks. And it would be very hard to say where stop their activities.

Anyway Sillypore laws are totally fucked up, this guy was just transiting and is gonna be execute ::

May the weak and the dumb perish and the world go on without ever accepting free trade...

Random, out for a fine dinner hopefully

Hi!

If I had a daughter hooked on drugs, I would want 5 mins alone with the person who gave her the drugs. However, for the guy who molested my daughter...well, 5 mins is not NEARLY enough.

If your daughter did drugs it would most likely be her own choice. On the other hand if she was molested it would most likely not be her choice. I think that is a significant difference.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived