"Bars" and "Prostitution" don't mix....

NokTang

He doesn't like bars. Therefore, people who do like bars are alcoholics. I know plenty of guys like him. Worst are the AA guys who believe that EVERYONE is an alcoholic, they just may not have been given the opportunity. Like a gay man I used to work with years ago who insisted that ALL men are gay, some just haven't been made aware of it yet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
INTJ said:

Ha, I knew the "Alkie Expat" line would generate a reaction from "a certain group".

"Rather contradictorary posting, I am up at 6:30 AM out of the apartment by 7:15 and on my way to work"

Please explain how the time of getting up in a morning and leaving for work has any bearing on being an alchoholic or not ::

"Yet you on the other hand can afford the time to sit in English pubs in a Morning whilst the rest of us are at work"

Where did I say that I sit in an English pub every morning ? And lucky me, I can afford the time if I choose. And whats the "rest of us" line about ? Not all expats bust their balls by being out the door at 7.30 every day.

FYI, the only thing that interests me in an English pub in the morning is a decent breakfast.

"Another Kettle Pot Black Moment" - yes, at least you got that bit right.

I obviously hit a nerve there, talking about expats with drink problems. Sorry about that ::

Best Regards,

INTJ.

Well Please explain how one observes such scenarios if not there first hand pretty basic breakdown son, do I have to spell it out for you?

As far as the content of the thread goes, there are obviously 2 distinct schools of thought and who am I or anyone else for that matter to define who is correct.

Part time visitors may enjoy the bar scene, does that make them wrong, as previous posters have mentioned its all down to a social-ecconomical climate, if it did not sell it would not be operating at a profit which it obiously does. Basic business sense dictates profit or change business plan.

We often hear the word "Sanuk" in Thai nearest English translation is "Fun" ... Ironic that "Fun" in Thai is "Dream" in English you dont have to agree with peoples dreams, but it is rather shallow to knock a person for having a differant outlook on life than your own, do not knock a person for dreaming as if your outlook is perfect!

Aa for hitting a nerve, nowhere close its all about self control, I get 132 days a year off work whilst still living and working here (Maybe My Mate in Thailand Thread Should be in here) 1/3 rd of my life is party zone if I so wish without having to drive more than 3 hours.

Personaly I prefer the discretion of MP scene over the Bar scene but that does not make the bar scene bad.

"...it would not be operating at a profit which it obiously does. Basic business sense dictates profit or change business plan..."

Given the increasing costs of a beer simply for the "privilege" of sitting in a beer bar, I gotta wonder if the business plan is indeed changing, i.e. owners are increasing prices to make up for lost volumes (fewer customers going to bars).

Or maybe wholesalers are squeezing the bars on price. Or maybe it's just good old-fashioned greed on the part of bar owners, I dunno. There's lots of variables at play here, many of which I'm sure certain people don't want to discuss in an open forum.

As far as "obviously operating at a profit" is concerned, I'll never cease to be amazed at the number of Thai establishments (bars or otherwise) that seem to have no customers, yet seem to remain in business forever somehow.

Just sayin' is all... ;)

enigma said:

My views are mostly in line with INTJ's. It's fine if other expats still enjoy the bar scene, but it got real old, real fast for me. Sitting in a beer bar chatting up the girls is mindnumbingly dull to me, and it's not a cost- or time-effective way to snag a girl.

I agree, I'm even thinking of having a few t-shirts printed up in thai, somewhere along the lines of

"my name is xxxxx, I'm from xxxxxx, this is my first time to thailand, no I don't want to barfine you"

It would probably save all the hassles :D

Having said that, I pretty much look forward to it when i'm back home, planning the next trip, but after a few days in LOS, I do tend to get a little bored of it, after-all.....

Right now, I'm in the "can't wait to drink with the girls" mode as its only 4 weeks to my next visit :D

As for tourists, their infrequent trips to Thailand may be the only sex many of them ever get, so they like to be surrounded by girls doting on them, whether or not they know it's all bullshit (and at this point in history, especially with websites like this, they'd better know). That's cool, I can understand that. But for me, it quickly became an annoyance more than anything else.

I think most know the game and if they don't they pick it up very quickly. What probably surpises a lot of tourists is how easy it is in picking up the girls. Maybe this takes some fun out of the chase ?

INTJ said:

SD,

Yer, in your position I agree with you 100%, also gogo's are something of a different animal.

But when I think about bars, I think beer bars (of the Pattaya variety), ie. fat, badly dressed lone males on stools, ugly old birds with too much make up sat smoking or eating (or both), connect 4, crap music too loud etc. Just awful, depressing to see.

Just the image that springs to my mind when someone mentions "bar".

INTJ.

Sounds like heaven :D

enigma said:

"...crap music too loud..."

That alone keeps me away from most bars. If I wanted to be in a disco, I'd go to a disco. Turn it down!

Aye, I never understand the passion for eardrum-busting music, if I go to a bar, I want to talk, its hard enough understandning the girls with their accents, but to have loud music in the background makes some conversations nigh-on impossible......

Guest lazyphil

Soi Sea Dragon, Patong used to play different music in each bar all competing noise levels, now its from one DJ for the whole soi, hate it :: just got used to having loud conversations with the gals :)

It's certainly possible to have a paradigm where the girls don't work for the bars but they get the benefit of having a place to ply their trade and the bar owners have a draw to sell alcohol. Best as I understood it, that was the predominant model around the bases in Korea in the mid to late 70s. There is less control over which girls (or not girls) comes through the door. That would concern me and I think it would concern the bar owners. BFs don't really bother me. I'm paying for having a somewhat pleasant environment to get acquainted (delude myself?) with my companion for the evening before making the decision. Yes, I can get the same service for free at Gulliver's but not with as wide a variety. Does it benefit the girls to get a salary (+cut on ladies drinks and BFs) as opposed to free lancing. Seems like it would, but don't really know.

Separately, I do like visiting go gos and see what it showing and will, sometimes, pay the toll (drinks) to do so with a fair degree of certainy that that is all I'm going to do.

:beer:

Bars are all about prostitution/girls for me. I don't drink at all, hate cigarette smoke and crappy loud music. I would never set foot in one otherwise.

These days after a few 100B soft drinks I'm no longer thirsty, and I'll start ordering 50B draft beers that sit on the table untouched.

Beer bars - no aircon and less attractive girls. I actually met a really cute girl recently in a Pattaya beer bar, and wondered why the hell she wasn't working in an agogo.

Agogo's - Better looking girls, scantily clad, and aircon. Barfine is annoying, but guarantees some recourse if the the girl gets out of hand.

Discos - no barfine, but no recourse. Serious hearing loss in a matter of minutes. Not always easy to pick out the freelancers from the locals. I'm not much of a dancer, anyway. Katoeys like to lurk in the dark shadows. And last but not least, they don't often get going until well after midnight. I don't know about you, but if I don't get the "lady" in bed until 4AM, I'm too damned tired to perform.

Massage parlors - Haven't really tried them, but the pickings in the fishbowls seem mighty disappointing. This may be the next area of exploration for me.

The Street - Same as discos except no loud music, less attractive girls, and I always wonder what is the girl's problem keeping her from working bar or disco? Especially the occasional attractive one.

Archived