"Bars" and "Prostitution" don't mix....

NokTang

INTJ, I have been a professional expat for damn near 20 years. Most of us are alcoholics due to the fact that that was the place to meet up and have a little slice of home and unwind. It is different now, in that places are becoming more generic (mostly do to the ease of travel and the internet), but the concept is similar.

Anyway, to the OP, the feeling is very different if you are a high profile professional here, as opposed to a tourist (no matter how frequent), a retiree or a guy with a low profile job.

The girlie bars are perfect for me. I like acting the fool and playing with cute young chix just like I was back in Uni. But I cannot afford to do that in "public". Therefore, the farang gogo bars are perfect. The girls know the score, they are fun, professional and I know where to find them time and again. Should I be so inclinded a room is very nearby. I cannot afford to be seen walking down the street with a bargirl. I cannot afford to be seen by any customers, non-scene compatriots, family, friends, etc. as it is simply not proper.

Therefore, the freelance scene is not an option for me. I like the Thai scene, but I have to be much more reserved there for the same above reasons -- I may be observed by someone who does not need to see me acting up.

I have these rules for the sake of my business, reputation and respect for my wife. She knows I go out to the bars and she is not dumb, she knows what goes on there. But that is our secret and she will allow me to do what I do as long as no one else (important to us that is) knows what is up.

So the bars in the areas that they are in and girls in those bars allow me to play my cards close to my vest, so to speak, when it comes to real life, not when I'm SuaDum the board persona.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, I knew the "Alkie Expat" line would generate a reaction from "a certain group".

"Rather contradictorary posting, I am up at 6:30 AM out of the apartment by 7:15 and on my way to work"

Please explain how the time of getting up in a morning and leaving for work has any bearing on being an alchoholic or not ::

"Yet you on the other hand can afford the time to sit in English pubs in a Morning whilst the rest of us are at work"

Where did I say that I sit in an English pub every morning ? And lucky me, I can afford the time if I choose. And whats the "rest of us" line about ? Not all expats bust their balls by being out the door at 7.30 every day.

FYI, the only thing that interests me in an English pub in the morning is a decent breakfast.

"Another Kettle Pot Black Moment" - yes, at least you got that bit right.

I obviously hit a nerve there, talking about expats with drink problems. Sorry about that ::

Best Regards,

INTJ.

SD,

Yer, in your position I agree with you 100%, also gogo's are something of a different animal.

But when I think about bars, I think beer bars (of the Pattaya variety), ie. fat, badly dressed lone males on stools, ugly old birds with too much make up sat smoking or eating (or both), connect 4, crap music too loud etc. Just awful, depressing to see.

Just the image that springs to my mind when someone mentions "bar".

INTJ.

"like most real expats"

Ha, perhaps I am a false or pretend expat then because I don't leave for work at 7.30 every morning. Or perhaps I am not an expat at all because I can have an English breakfast once in a while. Or perhaps it comes down to the definition of expat (Fly, where are you now ?) Or perhaps....... yawn.

"stunned at the stoopidity"

Me too ::

Phil, I seem to remember that when pressed, you admitted you didn't really like it there, and would rather be here, but couldn't afford it. I don't really see what thats got to do with the subject at hand, though.

Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack Noks thread.

INTJ.

Hi,

"I would say the majority of farangs living here are alchoholics."

Please define alcoholics? While I do know a couple that I would classify as alcoholics (i.e. guys drinking every day, and often too much), most of the guys I know here I would not classify as alcoholics. Sure, many (most?) drink, but usually well within limits.

You should try showing up for a Gulliver's meeting one of these days, quite a few guys there drinking sodas, fruit juice or just plain water.

Sanuk!

Fair enough that Beer bars are not your thing.

I will concede that I have not spent that much time in Pattaya maybe 1/2 a dozen trips, maybe 7/8 weeks in total??, and always found it dull - kinda puzzled me as I do like seedy shit holes - probably because I never learnt my way around.

However I can't imagine anything worse than travelling 1/2 way around the world and then sitting in a "normal" bar - coupled with dealing with whores who are pretending otherwise (hi-so / lo-so or 3 hole-so :D).

I would say the overwhelming majority (certainly of tourists) have absolutely no idea of this elaborate scam.

Although I do not go out of my way anymore to chat to Farang (how long you stay etc DOES become boring :D) in beer bars, unless they are buying drinks (you buy me heineken? ::) - I would say that most know to some degree or another, but deliberately do not care. Call it what you will, "suspension of disbelief" or something.

Walking around holding hands with last nights "conquest", WTF ???

I have been known to do this.............mainly when crossing the road (for my benefit).

As you seem like a nice enough bloke, I will let you into a "secret", it doesn't really matter, you could walk down Sukhumvit / Beach Road or Silom butt naked with a Banana stuck up your arse and singing "I've got a lovely bunch of cocunuts" with a Katoey on each arm...........OR..........dressed in a 3 piece suit whilst accompanied by the PM's wife, most folks would think you were either with a BG, going to get a BG or had just come from f#cking a BG. :D :D :D

Archived