Do You want to see it end...?

Old Hippie

Yes I would like to see it end. I think one part of the prostitution could be removed by better livingcondition, better education; in short better living standard.

The other part is the culture. I'm not sure if Thailand has more of a prostitution culture than other contries with a lot of poor people, like Russia and Brazil, but with a strong market there will be easier to enter into prostitution. This is where law could make a differance.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Af16,

Thanks for your honest answers. I do agree that better education is needed in Thailand, beyond the mandated level currently inplace (what is it now? Age 13 or level 8 or something? was supposed to have gone up at some point...anyway, If you don't mind me asking, do you still engagauge in P4P/nightlife? or have you given it up? Thanks again.

khunsanuk said:

Making prostitution legal will solve a lot of problems and will reduce the criminal element involved in this drastically.

Hi ks,

Agree - but looks like the UK is doing exactly the opposite.

Traffickers face action to curb sex trade

By David Harrison

(Filed: 01/01/2006)

The Government will this week announce a crackdown on the sex trafficking gangs which bring thousands of young women to Britain and force them into prostitution.

The "action plan" follows the Sunday Telegraph's undercover investigations into the cruel and fast-growing trade condemned as "21st century slavery".

In the past few years thousands of women, mostly vulnerable 18- to 25-year-olds from eastern Europe, have been abducted or deceived - with promises of "normal" jobs - into coming to Britain where they are kept as sex slaves, raped, beaten and forced to see up to 30 clients a day.

Paul Goggins, the Home Office minister who will unveil the action plan, said: "This is a relatively new but horrific crime that has been growing at an alarming rate. It has added a shocking new dimension to prostitution."

Under the plan, ministers and police will work with authorities and charities in countries such as Romania, Moldova, Lithuania and Ukraine, to help to catch the criminals and educate young women about the threat posed by traffickers.

In Britain police, customs, airline and rail staff, and trans-continental coach drivers will be trained to spot traffickers and victims.

More police raids will be carried out at brothels - including those disguised as saunas and massage parlours - and officers will be accompanied by "support teams" who will offer rescued women protection and counselling.

Britain has one refuge for trafficking victims but Mr Goggins said more might be opened if they were needed. Women at the shelter can remain in Britain for 28 days but victims could be allowed to stay for longer if they were giving evidence.

In a recent series of investigations this newspaper found girls for sale in Romania for as little as £1,400, interviewed women held as sex slaves in London and revealed that victims were being kept in dingy cellars in Macedonia.

Men who use prostitutes will also be targeted under the new plan, and those who use trafficked women will be hit hardest.

"If men are caught with women who show signs that they are working against their will, they will face serious charges," said Mr Goggins.

The new initiative is much more significant than last week's decision to shelve plans for legal red-light districts and announce that kerb-crawlers would lose their licences and be "named and shamed".

Police admit that they are struggling to cope with the scale of the problem but say they are encouraged by recent successes, such as the jailing last month of five Albanian traffickers.

The action plan, which will be put out for consultation until the end of March, will also cover child and slave labour trafficking which police believe are run by many of the gangs behind the sex slave trade.

The crackdown forms part of a policy blitz ordered by Tony Blair to wrest back the limelight from the Tories. Announcements on security and health are expected.

However, Mr Blair, who returns this week from a family holiday on the Red Sea, still faces revolts over education reform, nuclear power and possible changes to the welfare system.

Daily Telegraph

Khwai

[color:"blue"] Rather ironic of course when he died a few years later and was found to have had up to 100 mia noi's on the go!

Simie.

[/color]

You know also that he was the only Isaan man ever got into that position. Besides having mia nois, I feel that because of him, many places in Isaan have better roads and many public things for the people. Of course without the King and Queen the poor Isann would have been much worse.

For what I understood, the prostituion never was legal, ever, it could be that General Sarit put it in writing that it was not?

Jasmine

Jasmine, you are probably right in that its was never technically legal before Field Marshal Sarit's legslation? As you know yourself there are many laws in Thailand that are ignored and that the authorities choose not to enforce. Also during Sarit's time in power tuk tuks where banned from Bangkok, but we can all see for ourselves how rigorously that law has been enforced!! ::

Simie.

Old Hippie said:

I read some where (maybe Lonely Planet?) That the Tuk Tuks were considered a tourist attraction, and thus would stay. However they want to make them cleaner and quieter, which I assume means converting to Natural gas, and using mufflers.

It's true. The new politically correct tuk-tuks are on the way! The multi-lingual cross-cultural drivers will not be allowed to mention gems or massage parlours and they will be taking special courses in gender-sensitivity and anger management. ::

limbo said:

But can you end it?

It's not for nothing the alleged oldest profession in the world, is it?

You can reduce it significantly. That's good.

In Norway the prostitution market is mainly African, Eastern European or Asian. The Norwegians still left in the game is mainly druggies.

While there allways are other options than prostituion, poverty and the causes like it make it more likely that you end up making such a choice.

Old Hippie said:

Af16,

Thanks for your honest answers. I do agree that better education is needed in Thailand, beyond the mandated level currently inplace (what is it now? Age 13 or level 8 or something? was supposed to have gone up at some point...anyway, If you don't mind me asking, do you still engagauge in P4P/nightlife? or have you given it up? Thanks again.

I once spent some time with a Thai prostitute in my home contry, at the time thinking there were something in it for her and me. Saw enough there to turn me off my liberal ideas of free choice and like.

I do not and have never engagaued in the P4P sceene in Thailand. My first trip was after the whole ordeal with the Thai girl back home ended. It would be impossible for me considering the experience I had back here.

I accept thoug that others have diffrent experiences and diffrent views. It's a personal thing.

Archived