Do You want to see it end...?

Old Hippie

Hi,

"it can be driven underground. And that might make it worse for the women. "

Fully agree. Making prostitution legal will solve a lot of problems and will reduce the criminal element involved in this drastically.

However, I seriously doubt this will happen anytime soon. It is much easier to just pretend that there is no prostitution.

Sanuk!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'm more of a realist.

I wouldn't like to see all the girls give up the nightlife scene.

I would like the girls to be educated to their options and make their own decision about going in as I think it's total bullshit that it's the only option they have. I've got a number of friends who use that to excuse their patronizing of whores. Even one guy who says, "isn't it lucky they have this way to make money for their family? How else would they survive?"

What hypocritical sanctimonious bullshit. As an aside, that guy is American if you haven't already guessed.

If yer a whoremonger, just admit it, geez. It's not that big a deal!

Back to the topic.

Even if this does happen, and girls are educated about their options, there still will be plenty of girls in the nightlife business.

<<burp>>

[color:"blue"] However, I seriously doubt this will happen anytime soon. It is much easier to just pretend that there is no prostitution.

[/color]

Defenitely not, the politicians are not really concern about these poor people and thier families. It is easy for these people who have assets of millions and millions to yell "shame" then do nothing about it.

As I posted before, getting rid of prostitution takes more than morale-----blah-blah, they must have a viable option to make a living. Grant it, many people also need to be taught of the value of many things such as finance management, future planning and so on. I really feel sorry for most of the Thais right now with the temptation of materials pumping into them every single moment by the media, it is difficult to control themselves. :banghead:

Another thing too, the Thais have a habit of wanting to be like the Jones! How can a mobile phone show status of a user? I find this incredible, but it is good for people who owns Nokia stocks! :( Some students sell themselves so they could show off material gains, incredible, I have no other words for these things! :cussing::banghead:

Jasmine :medusa:

I'm largely with KS and Gummigut.

I enjoy the scene, peruse, but also feel compassison for the girls. Many tears on my shoulders recently. I think it has always been here, and flatter myself by pretending I'm treating them bettter than the average punter. (after all, they all tell me I'm JaiDee)

I suppose I am a hypocryte, spent years coming to terms with that, still haven't.

This is not joking, just me.

'As an aside, that guy is American if you haven't already guessed.'

No, I hadn't guessed. I suppose I'm just one of those people who likes to stereotype and think all whoremongers are the same regardless of nationality. I admit it, I'm one, too!

As an "ex" monger, it would be easy for me to vote yes...since I don't really benefit from their services anymore.

However (and without trying to sound like an ugly American)...what is the future of these girls who are forced out of the business??? Are we going to fantasyland, where they all get a college educationand a good office job? Or, instead, is it the reality of working on a farm for 2000 baht a month and looking old by the time they're 30?

Will they get to travel the world, or will they never leave their village and marry a Thai guy who will beat, cheat on, take and gamble away their money, and then leave them with a few kids to raise?

Obviously, working in the nightlife scene is not something I would wish on my daughter...but, for a poor girl from Isaan, it might be their only chance at a better life than generatons of their families before them. So, are we really being kindhearted towards the girls if we hope for the end of the Thai sex industry???

Also, be honest, the industry creates bring a heap of money to the Thai economy, without which it would be a much poorer place. And, to be honest, without the nightlife intriguing me...I might never have visited what has become my home for 5 years. While it's loss now wouldn't mean so much to me...I still enjoy a night out from time to time. Hate to see that go for myself, and so many others who have yet to experience an incredible time.

So, I voted no.

However, I will change my vote to yes, if we can give the girls the utopian verison of life that their own system denies them.

KS, i agree i can't see them legalising it anytime in the forseeable future. Partly as a consequence of the westernisation of Thailand that has slowly been happening over the years and also because the farang scene is very visible and high profile. Prostitution was only made illegal in 1960 when Field Marshall Sarit was trying too engraciate himself with the US. Rather ironic of course when he died a few years later and was found to have had up to 100 mia noi's on the go!

Simie.

Archived