Be Careful What you Eat!!

keith doug

was supposed to be in LOS for 4 weeks and ended up 1 week ,,

im not sure if it was a ham roll from Subway or a pork chop undercooked that night but omg!! i was so so sick had to get a doctor in ,, £85 and had gastro enteritos,food poisning and aweful runs!! no fun after 8 days of no food had to return uk!! dam sad....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in all this years in LOS i had once food poisoning and once big stomach problems and both was from Farang food. and i eat regularly in food stalls and have tried many things and never got anything from local food.

hope it does not spoil your mood for LOS and good luck for your next trip!

keith,

Sorry to hear your trip got ruined over food poisoning - your episode sounded like what happened to me on my very 1st trip to Pattaya. I couldn't even walk for 3 days and luckily the BG I picked up the night before, who hardly even knew me, stayed with me for 3 days using her own money to get me food and medicine. Fairly certain I got it from foolishly trying the "Mixed Meat Plate" at 0200 in what used to be a Chinese Restaurant in the Lobby of the Pattaya Centre Hotel (food was likely sitting there all day long).

However I digress, I did want to post the results of a pertinent experiment I just did on my last trip - which regrettably seems to counter both yours and Samak's posts - but, gotta post how it came down...:

In all of my trips, every single one, I always have gotten food poisoning, sometimes real bad like that that 1st Pattaya trip mentioned above, most other times just some minor stuff for a day or 2 at most....except for - this last trip!

As an experiment during my stay I ate ONLY western fast food the entire time (Pizza Hut, McD's, KFC, etc) - nothing from food stalls, no Hotel room service, no Thai restaurants - everything else remained the same including ice with all my drinks in the bars.

For the 1st time ever I was never sick - not even close. Could be just a coincidence given it was only 1 trip in which I performed this "experiment". However wanted to pass on what I found and can't wait to do much more research! :o

samak said:

in all this years in LOS i had once food poisoning and once big stomach problems and both was from Farang food. and i eat regularly in food stalls and have tried many things and never got anything from local food.

hope it does not spoil your mood for LOS and good luck for your next trip!

I had three times big stomach problems, all in Bkk, two after a

farang food menue and one after an American Breakfast!!!

Never have problems with Thai Food, and my stomach is not the best.

On average once a trip I have a situation where when I am in the Toilet........I am never sure which end it is coming out of uncontrollably first.

So far pointed the right end at the pan, but it has been close a few times.......... and requires several quick swap arounds. ::

And the smell.......................my god the smell ::

I do not each much Thai Food and am around for a lot more than 2 weeks each trip (apart from "this" trip of course!) - I find a Mcdonalds bungs me up when the tummy is just feeling a bit dodgy. But I do drink a lot of beer ::

It's good to share (some things!)

All,

Never been sick after many years eating just about anything here from everywhere, but there are some things I would, and do, avoid. Raw seafood (oysters/clams), anything with mayo (tuna salad, etc.) unless I made it myself, food that has not just been cooked immediately I stay away from, boiled, fried, BBQ, is best frsh from the stove. I also avoid most farang food that has been sitting, also places with buffets. Buffets sit out for ages really. (Remember a few guys here complaining that they got a touch of food poisoning after eating at the old Warbler's Mex or curry buffet.) Don't forget the water as well. I use the tap water to brush every day. Small bit of water, and usually if I have been back in the states a few weeks I'll get a bit runny in the bowels first back doing this, but it also seems to help build up a bit of an immunity to the bugs after a few weeks as well. Drinking water 'only' bottled waters. I also eat no meats I notice are a bit underdone. Send it back or don't eat it is my motto. Rather be hungry than sick really.

Never been sick here from food or water. Now mind you, too many bad draft beers or cheap whiskey sickness is a completely different matter. :)

Oh, and gargle two or three times a day with Listerene mouthwash, the stronger version, and a shot of hard liquor a day/evening usually works for me.

Cent

p.s. And I do have a weak stomach actually, and have had problems over the years back in the states. But here never a problem following my regimen.

Archived