Be Careful What you Eat!!

keith doug

Going on four years now and the only time I was really sick was from a club sandwich eaten on the Bangkok to Udon train.

Food poisining usually takes 18 to 24 hours to start showing symptoms, often times Flu like; many a so called "24 hour virus" is actually food poisoning.

Though I do eat a lot of street food, I avoid pre-cooked food in trays, most shelfish and leafy salads; unwashed or improperly washed vegatables and fruit are a major hazard.

I would put a gun to my own head before I ate food from a beach vendor.

I've heard that in the provinces, dairy products such as ice cream novelties are sometimes made with unpastureized milk.

There was a mom and pop factory in the Moo Ban where I lived in Udon that made frozen orange juice cups; the oranges were never even washed before they went into the crusher, much less pastureized. They used low grade oranges as well, a lot of windfall off the ground, I'm sure.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norfloxacin 400mg, 2/day (after meals) for 3-5 days may have saved your trip. Some recommend doubling the first dose.

Ciprofloxacin 500mg, also 2/day for the same period can also be utilized.

Both these antibiotics are available here over the counter; and, are cheaply priced. If your condition doesn't improve after 3 days, definitely see a gastroenterologist (or internist).

Or, if you feel the initial symptoms warrant it, seek the help of a qualified physician before self treatment.

Will join the chorus on shellfish. The big (HUGE) oysters? they used to sell at the seafood court on soi 5. Taste out of this world. Ate several (thai girls with me ate many with no prob) and within an hour got a sore throat that lasted 36 hours. Year later tried again as i thought the sore throat could not have been related to those oysters. Got a sore throat again AND a fever.

I thought for sure this was the food of the devil. The doc said it sounded like an allergic reaction.

I did get sick on one trip. But I think it was all the people at all the airports I stopped and the coughing kids on airplane that may have caused flu-like illness.

Having travelled to LOS many times, Cambodia, Vietnam, I have never been sick with food. But I use all the cautions stated above.

I have never had a problem with the breakfast buffet at Nana Hotel. Many, many, breakfasts there.

I have never had a problem with the LEK buffet breakfast or dinner.

I have walked out of some restaurants before sitting down as surroundings just didn't look right.

Normally, a restaurant that has a high turnover can be safe.

Not always but most of time.

I never have anything with mayonaise.

Any you that have drinks with ice cubes, where do you think that water comes from?

Me, I only drink bottled soda, water, or beer.

The runs,sitting on the can for a long time is not my cup of tea. sorry. I've been there many times and for the fist time I was on a trip with no digestive probs. No matter what you do. DON'T EAT YOUR GIRLFRIEND'S(SOM TOM) There was even an article in Bangkok times about a research done on this dish that Thai's are crazy about. They,the department of health I think went to many of places who serve Som Tom, restaurants,food stalls,amusement parks and so forth. The findings. In almost all Som Tom,they found bacteria to cause problems,especially to us farangs. You know there are farmented fresh crab or fish in every som tom base. Sitting out in the hot, almost unbearable temps the bacteria just grows. To combat this problems, I no longer eat food from the vendors. I love thai food. That's eaten at hotels with no problems. When I'm out and about, I simply eat at farang restaurants or Japanese. I have been to the emergency room on 3 occasions. Learnt my lessons. chok dii. eee

BuffHello said:

dirty thai hands that have been picking nose and scratching ass must be the no1 problem, some of those street traders have filthy hands and nails.

It's very rare that I find soap in Thai hong nams. The places that do have it are nicer restaurants, hotels and shopping centers. I get a bad case of food poisoning about twice a year. For those of you who don't get it, more power to ya, but you can't deny that the conditions at the street vendors' facilities are filthy.

If I want street style food, I'll usually go to someplace like the emporium food court.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem i ALWAYS have is my dump frequency :)

i gotta run 2 times a day, usually when i wake up and before i go out, my poo poo is a little to thin for my 'taste'. I am scared and aware of all risks, that's why the toilet thing bothers me so much, but I guess it is normal when you drink as much whiskey straight up as I do.

I totally avoid any kind of uncooked vegetables and i would never eat salad coz they wash it with tab water. I never had problems with seafood of any kind, never ever had problem with thai food not even extremely spicy isaan food. I have street BBQ every night. The most toilet problems I always have after the menu #4 from KFC :)

i guess I am fine

Archived