Sin Sot, when is 1,000,000 baht too much?

steffi

I found this on the Phuket Gazzette website.

Buying property in Thailand

I am a Thai national married to a foreigner. If I wish to buy a property in Thailand, what do I need to do? Do I have to follow the same rules as foreigners? And am I only allowed to own it for 50 years?

Wednesday, December 13, 2000 Confused woman, Phuket

“Thais who are married to a foreigner may buy property, but they must go with their spouse to the Phuket Provincial Land Office (PPLO) to file an application to buy. An agreement must be signed by both stating that the money used to buy the property belongs to the Thai, and is not common property acquired through or after marriage. This agreement is available as a standard form from the PPLO. The Thai will also have to produce the marriage certificate, a copy of his or her ID card and a copy of his or her house registration paper.”

Wednesday, December 13, 2000 Prajin Chanchuoy, Phuket Provincial Land Office

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a brief personal note, I married a thai lady with a BA degree, a father that is a professor, and a smallish house outside of bangkok and paid no dowery. I went to a wedding of one of her friends that also had the BA degree and she pulled in a 500,000 baht dowery.

After having visited LOS on several occasions and almost getting hitched TWICE, a thought suddenly hit me like a Tyson blow: 1,000,000 BT (in your case) = 1,000 L/T shags!!! Doing the math, that's 4 days per week for the next 5 years. Alternatively, you can strike a deal with live-in girlfriends for 15,000 BT/month and shag EVERYDAY for the next 5 1/2 years. That's PLENTY of time to come to your senses. You get all the companionship, caring, attntion, etc. that only a Thai girlfriend can give without all the fuss, complications, and expenses of marrying one. If one gets to pushy about more money, toss her and get a new model.

Yes it may sound cold-herted, but it makes sense when put in proper perspective. You REALLY think your upscale, long-term, educated Thai girlfriend's family wants their daughter to marry a farang out of love? Ha! They REALLY want her to marry a Thai man. It's cultural, not racial. If they did, the dowry would not be that high. At best, you are a pretty much a society stepping stone as their friends will give them a higher status (in Thailand wealth = status) because their daughter will be perceived as marrying a filthy rich farang.

Just my 2 satang.

--SNG

quote:

Originally posted by SNGLIFE:

After having visited LOS on several occasions and almost getting hitched TWICE, a thought suddenly hit me like a Tyson blow: 1,000,000 BT (in your case) = 1,000 L/T shags!!! Doing the math, that's 4 days per week for the next 5 years. Alternatively, you can strike a deal with live-in girlfriends for 15,000 BT/month and shag EVERYDAY for the next 5 1/2 years. That's PLENTY of time to come to your senses. You get all the companionship, caring, attntion, etc. that only a Thai girlfriend can give without all the fuss, complications, and expenses of marrying one. If one gets to pushy about more money, toss her and get a new model.

Yes it may sound cold-herted, but it makes sense when put in proper perspective. You REALLY think your upscale, long-term, educated Thai girlfriend's family wants their daughter to marry a farang out of love? Ha! They REALLY want her to marry a Thai man. It's cultural, not racial. If they did, the dowry would not be that high. At best, you are a pretty much a society stepping stone as their friends will give them a higher status (in Thailand wealth = status) because their daughter will be perceived as marrying a filthy rich farang.

Just my 2 satang.

--SNG

Your point, although cold hearted, is well taken, from a financial standpoint anyway. That is why anyone planning marriage here, or anywhere else for that matter, should be very sure that he/she is doing the right thing and has found the right partner, which, in cases where the family is and will be involved, means that the family has got to be OK, too. If not, IMO the marriage has little chance for success.

1 million? too much mate!!!

Isaan people are famous for being over greedy, so watch out and don't go wasting your hard earned dollars on a Thai girl who might just be after your money.

Check her out, check her family out. Is it only money they wwant or a good husband for their daughter.

I have been in Thailand for over 12 years and I have heard LOTS of horror stories!!!

I am married with an Isaan girl holding a degree from Ramkamheang university, AND paid 50000 Baht!!!

If they genuinely like you, they will lower the price, trust me!!! Always remember Thais from Isaan are "very" greedy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, marriage. so wonderful when we start out down that road. having just returned from my nth visit to LOS i can only offer the meagre experience of marriage to 3 perfectly gorgeous wives, their prime considerations were money, all. apparently women become dissatisfied faster than guys. i was contemplating a fourth but a wise guide tapped me on the shoulder and said NO MORE. my feeling now is if they won't stay with you if you don't marry them, you don't need them. if you want or need them too badly they'll squeeze your nuts sooner or later. slowly.

consider the financial and emotional consequences and all the bother of divorce. who can think that far ahead unless they've been there. unthinkable when you're in never-never-land. emotion clouds the judgement. can't think of many benefits of marriage these days unless you long to lose your freedom or get her ass back to your country if that's the only way to get her visa. the back end of marriage can get you very strung out, emotionally and physically dislocated and poor, especially if the girl's much younger. marriage served its purpose in our society long ago. why do we need to impress them so much? bad habit. far better we make them impress us, no? just rambling.

SNGLIFE

Well put. if you live in Thailand all the time you could get that down lower. I was talking to an Australian gentleman the other day in the Nana Hotel lobby who's lived up north not far from Chiang Mai for several years and was offered a village man's young daughter as a permanent live-in for 3000 baht a month. get your calculator out. that's 333 and a third months of continuous shagging, or 100 baht a poke, 10,000 lecherous screws! now i just turned 50 so i'd be 77 by the time the contract expired notwithstanding inflation and breach of promise. AND, if you change the 1,000,000 to US dollars you can get a 7% risk free bond, giving you 70,000 baht in interest before tax, or another 23 months of 'free' shagging every year (690 pokes) with her cute little sister. so at these rates you'd be well greased till your dying day and if they gave you any problems you pack them off back to their daddy who will admonish them for holding up payments and send them smartly back, suitably chastised. come on gentlemen, let's be sensible.

“Always remember Thais from Isaan are "very" greedy!!!”

Bonkerthebonkerfarang

Don’t stereotype Thais from isaan. mad.gif" border="0

As everywhere, you will find good and bad people.

My wife is from phetchabuun and Khun Mae did not ask for a single cent, as she is just happy for her daughter to marry.

I agree, lots of Thais (even my wife in the early days) see in every farang a “Bill Gate$” but as soon my wife saw that I still have to work to earn my dollars, she rapidly changed, so I do not have bullshit like “sick buffalo’s”, cousins coming from far to get an loan or some other soapy stories. Yes in my wife's hometown she/we are titled as cheap chalies, but what the heck - mai pen rai.

Those farang that I now, having greedy wife’s or in-laws where divorced in 5-6 years time, just because the wife put herself in between her family and the husband. Perhaps status is a playing factor as well.

As for Steffi, 1 million is too much. I would advise not to pay this and see what is your G/F and G/F parents reaction. If she dumps you on the spot, she may have done this anyway after she got the money. You would not be the first farang who get dumped once money is paid, the new house is build or your bank accounts are running dry. crazy.gif" border="0

Good luck

A normal Thai procedure in this situation is to deliver a sizeable amount -- and figure on getting it back at the wedding reception. Middle and upper class Thais will have a reception after the wedding at a fairly fancy hotel. They provide music, finger food, maybe booze -- and the couple is introduced to everyone, who then wish them happiness forever etc. Each guest knows to bring something as a gift, generally an envelope with cash in it. A colleague actually came out 100,000 baht ahead after his wedding reception. He told me that some people put as much as 10,000 baht in new bills into the envelope. Of course, the gal he was marrying (BA from Thailand, MA from the States) is from a fairly well off family. If he had been counting on his Farang friends to provide him with money, he'd have ended up going into debt for sure!

p.s. Talk to the girl and let her give you some idea of what is expected, if she knows. If the family really worries about you abandoning her, I'd say you've got some problems to iron out besides just money.

Archived