Foriegners not being able to buy land.........

whcouncill

Gummi,

I am breaking my word here, and getting back into this thread...damn you and your clever rebuttals :)

Ok, go back and reread the part where I said "...with few exceptions, a person born outside the USA..." Obviously, you fall into that category, which is what/why I asked you to clarify. A few other exceptions exist as well.

"...How do I have less rights than someone who was born in weehawken New Jersey? ..."

Very simple put someone like yourself, who falls into one of the categories I refered to, or myself, cannot have our citezenship revoked or questioned, someone else, can. That is the "Birthright" of citezenship people sometimes refer to...having an "unconditional/unquestionable right to citezenship" if you will. Which you have. For people who do not meet the exceptions, or who were born outside the USA, and immigrated, Citezenship is a privilidge, and can be revoked.

Guantanamo...yes, appalling, to say the least, can you propose a solution? I can't...other than to say we failed to learn from history, and never should have started this mess...that and GWB etc... should be tried for war crimes...

On the rest of who should own land where and how, and who should have priority for governemnt jobs, can we agree to disagree, and remain friends? I look foreward to you and the kilt on my next visit, pissing or not! :)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guantanamo...yes, appalling, to say the least, can you propose a solution? I can't...

Well the detainees could be given access to legal representation and put on trial before an International court, and if found guilty then sentenced as appropriate. If they are found to have no case to answer then they should be repatriated to where they were kidnapped from and compensated for their wrongful imprisonment. ::

pe7e said:

Well the detainees could be given access to legal representation and put on trial before an International court, and if found guilty then sentenced as appropriate. If they are found to have no case to answer then they should be repatriated to where they were kidnapped from and compensated for their wrongful imprisonment. ::

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

FAT_AUSSIE said:

granted. No the current property laws in Thailand are very much designed to only benefit the Thai's. It almost seems the Thai gov't want's to help unscrupulous bargirls turn big dollars...

It's their country and they do what suits them.

Difficult concept for some.

Time to get over it or go home.

Easy to draw a distinction between a foriegner married to a Thai national raising a family in Thailand and somebody looking to speculate on property
Thai law could and should create disincentives for property speculators, but they don't. And those disincentives - if they were rational and realistic - would not involve any distinction between foriegnors and Thais.

Local Thai-Chinese businessmen bought on spec during the last property bubble in Thailand and they are doing so again. They are fueling a bubble because their acquisitions involve little or no risks to themselves and very little outlay of cash. When you can buy property without using your own cash, but instead a loan, and the bank has little or no recourse against you, why not speculate? There is little or no downside, and potentially a great upside.

That is what is happening again now. How? Connected lending between certain banks controlled by vested interests and their family members and cronies. Your cousin approves the loan, and not just for one property acquisition, but a dozen, and you need only put in about 10,000 Baht per property. This is real speculation.

And Farangs are not part of this problem. How many Farangs have cousins or cronies how can approve loans on those sorts of terms? Now think about the number of Thai-Chinese that do have those sort of connections and exercise them. And then think about what happeneded during the last economic crash - exact same thing.

I am not suggesting that any single group be singled out. There also plenty of honest Thai-Chinese without these sorts of connections; I am just pointing out that Farangs don't have them. The key is better and more transparent regulation of banking. Allowing greater international participation in the financial sector. These sorts of steps, particularly the latter, have a proven track record in substantially reducing connected lending. And that is the real problem here.

Anyone who thinks that allowing Farangs to buy property in Thailand will make housing unaffordable for the Thai middle class really doesn't understand the Thai economy, the Thai property market or the nature of the real problems here.

Anyone who thinks that allowing Farangs to buy property in Thailand will make housing unaffordable for the Thai middle class really doesn't understand the Thai economy, the Thai property market or the nature of the real problems here.

I would add that they don't understand basic economics either. Additionally property prices would take a downturn well before they became unaffordable to middle class Thais,

(assuming sensible government regulation)

Gadfly1 said:Anyone who thinks that allowing Farangs to buy property in Thailand will make housing unaffordable for the Thai middle class really doesn't understand the Thai economy, the Thai property market or the nature of the real problems here.

Thai real estate = Finite pie with many people buying pieces.

Farangs = Group that cannot buy

Allow Farangs to buy means one more group buying from that Finite pie.

Farangs opportunities to create wealth is much greater, thus the Farang group has more resources than your avg. middle class Thai.

As the middle class Thai is lower on the economic scale, they will be able to buy less of that pie.

It's VERY simple economics.

<<burp>>

Archived