Firewall

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

Is ZoneAlarm worth downloading and much better than XP Firewall. Is it free and where can I download it, how do i configure it , will xp firewall automatically turn off when i use zonealarm?..thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- there are some freeware firewalls, and most others have a version (basic, standard, whatever) that can be used for free (students, non-commercial use,...).

- Usually better than the XP firewall as they also monitor outbound traffic.

- XP firewall doesn't turn itself off - you have to turn it off. I had the effect that after changing something in network setup the bloody XP firewall turned itself on again.

If you ask for recommendations, Agnitum Outpost Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall come to my mind. Both got recommendations from computer mags for their Pro versions.

But I'm not really up-to-date. Maybe you check out some magazines online?

XP firewall is not really up to the job as it dont have the regular updates to handle all the new viri/trojans. so you really need to get Zonelalrm or Mcaffee to keep out the rubbish.

They update themselves virtually every day to handle all the new threats. They do a scan at start up to ensure nothing has loaded onto your system.

I had only XP firewall and then loaded on Zonealarm, when it did a scan it found dozens of nastys on my system !all over the place !!

Why shouldn't he run the Zonealarm Pro Version?

Currently I am using Sygate Personal Pro. Unfortunately Symantec bought Sygate last year and stopped the development.

:cussing:

Probalby because it's much better than their own Firewall.

Anyway, now I have to find a new firewall for several computers.

Archived