Firewall

Guest baldrick

Hi guys,

relax! ::

BBs post could be misunderstood like I did as well, but this is really nothing to talk about.

Anyway. I just installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite (firewall and antivirus) on my notebook, which is connect to my home network with wlan. The installation of Zonealarm was extremely easy and smooth. When it stays like this I will switch to ZoneAlarm on all computers. :up:

My previous Sygate firewall was not that easy to configure since it took me a lot of time to find the right settings when I installed it on a network PC.

PS: A year ago or so I tried Zonealarm Pro already. It fucked up my internet connection completely, maybe it was an older version.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read a long test of Internet security suites (Firewall and Antivirus) in the most reliable German computer magazine "ct'".

The result are quite surprising for me:

- The built in WindowsXP firewall is as good as any firewall in blocking _incoming_ threats.

- No firewall is really capable to block outgoing communication completely.

- The Antivirus scanner included in Zonealarm Internet Security 6 (the software I just installed) is one of worst on the market other security suites or not that better. ::

Their recommendation:

better stick to separate firewalls and antivirus software and even the WindowsXP firewall is perfect for most users if combined with a good antivirus scanner and antispyware progs like spybot.

My conclusion: I will deinstall the Zonealarm Antivirus and will just run the Zonealarm firewall combined with AVG Antivirus pro.

carlton68 said:

Hi,

a link for all the ZoneAlarm fans:

phone home

A friend of mine sent me this information recently. I'm currently switching from Zone Alarm because of it and because I've learned what several people have mentioned in this thread: Firewalls are not as effective as they claim to be.

Properly securing your computer actually requires many more steps, depending on your operating system. For XP, the first step is shutting down vulnerable and unneeded services. Then you should shut any open ports (not such an easy thing).

One resource for shutting down unnecessary services is www.tweakhound.com. Shutting down ports, you might need more assisstance (I did).

Well,

I feel quite save against intrusion to my computer as I am behind a router with the firewall switched on. And using brain1.0 not to run every shit prog I can get.

Nevertheless I would like to know which programs try to connect to the internet. For this my hardware firewall doesn't help. I need a software firewall. So I went and looked for a free version and got some surprises:

Sygate: bought up and the still available free version not really updated anymore.

Kerio: same as Sygate

Outpost: Update of the free version installs a evaluation copy worth 30 days. Not what I was looking for.

Looks like ZoneAlarm is one of the last firewalls that is still available for free (well, not the pro but I'm ok with that) and regularly updated.

Can anyone point out any other free firewall worth trying (running on Win XP)?

I tried Securepoint but got the dreaded blue screens of death. Can't recommend it.

Disabled Windows firewall as it doesn't control outbound traffic.

Any other option?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived