PASSPORT QUESTION

When in Bangkok as a tourist, do I really have to carry passport around at all times?? This strikes me as risky, incase of pick pockets, drunken loss etc:

Can I just leave it it my hotel safe?

If I get stopped by the Boys In Brown with no passport on my possession, will I get fined or thrown in jail?

Surely I'm allowed to leave it in hotel safe, when out and about?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I know of this, you are required to carry your passpor with you at all times, however, what I do is to carry a copy of my passport.

There are times, such as now, when my passport is at a foreign embassy as I am getting a visa for that country. The embassy did supply me with a receipt, so if needed, I would show that.

I have been stopped several times by the "boys in brown" while driving, but have never been asked to see my passport.

during all those years in Bangkok i have never been asked by the BiB to show my passport (despite being stopped many times by traffic cops) and i never carry one, not even a copy. of course if the BiB want to screw you, they will, but they can also screw you even if you carry a passport.

so if approached by a BiB just be polite and nice, smile; and remember everything is negotiable!

Strictly speaking you should carry it with you at all times, but in reality, few farangs actually do, for the reasons you have already mentioned. You should get yourself a good quality copy of the relevent pages of your passport along with a copy of any current visa you have. Technically, they could still cart you off to the IDC if stopped without it, but I think this would be highly unlikley unless you are of African or Asian decent, in which case carrying your passport at all times would be advisable. The only time I have ever been stopped without my passport (in Issarn) was sorted with a small bribe of a packet of cigerettes.

I always carry a copy with me just in case or if a bike hire place needs a copy etc. Interesting fact though is that when I do a colour photocopy I have to reduce it or enlarge it (90% or 110%) to avoid the possibility of being charge under Australian Federal Laws for countrfeiting. How fucking dumb is that.

Thanks guys.

I will lock it away in hotel safe and stuff a copy of the passport in the back pocket of my jeans!

Maybe I'll paperclip two, one hundred baht notes to the photocopy, just in case I'm stopped by the Boys in Brown??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived