PASSPORT QUESTION

Commie control......

It used to be the same in good old USSR..... checkin was ok, but there was security on each floor where they kept the passports. Go in give passport, go out take passport, repeat as needed :(

In Vietnam it serves a double purpose, police can ask anytime in any hotel for all passports, and they keep track of where you are.

Its actually a good way not to loose your passport.

BTW, as you cannot bring any 'guests' to your room, unless you register them in a separate room first, you might be better off with a ST hotel.

Guess what ? They take her ID card alone there..... :p

BB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pe7e said:

Technically, they could still cart you off to the IDC if stopped without it, but I think this would be highly unlikley unless you are of African or Asian decent , in which case carrying your passport at all times would be advisable.

Why do you advise that?

Personally I am an American who looks Thai (from what I've been told, and the fact that when I go out with friends everybody comes up speaking Thai to me hoping I will translate.. ).

I'm 3/4ths Asian and I've never been stopped or even looked at by the police?

Hell I think my chances of getting stopped by a corrupt cop is less likely; I'd probably get stopped by a real cop for doing something actually wrong.

I'd like to know why you think that though, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Old argument. No, the law does not say you have to, but the police all believe the law says you do have to. No police official has ever been able to point out the exact law on the books (because one does not exist), but they all believe it's there, the honest ones and the corrupt ones alike. So if the police tell you it is the law, it will do you no good to argue, even though it is NOT the law.

So at the very least, carry a copy.

I would not present any Soi Khao San ID cards as they are not authentic in Thailand and that would be another reason to place you into Immi Detention..NO thanks....I carry my Thai DL and that did work during a pis test raid at Tai Pan Club in Patong last year. Or what it the 100 baht slipped under the DL to gain passage for me and my TGF who I bribed into the club as she is not 20 years old......Ta Ta Faragites!

Archived