wine for expats?

FAT_AUSSIE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dog, they don't call XXXX barbed wire because of the shape of the name, it's what it feels like coming up the next morning.

Lusty, Stella has to be the worlds most over rated beer.

There's good beers in Australia, mainly from the smaller breweries like Coopers. A lot of the mass produced draught is crap though. Tooheys is probably the best, their Old is one of my favorites. It's all good when your dry, the weathers hot and it's been on the ice all day, even Singha.

I buy mine at the Laos duty free,over the Aust friendship bridge. last week got some Penfolds Bin 389 ( May favorite) for 850 baht a bottle, managed to get 12 bottles in, plus 2 doz Beer Lao. To get it for that price you need to go through the main duty free, unhelpful bastards there anyway, in the back shops stuff is much cheaper. Bit of Thai help to reduce the price as does being a hansum man. The girls love a flirt which I have to say I do quite well,

If your going to Vientiane there used to be a wine/spirits shop across the road from the Talart Sao that was reasonably priced with a good selection. I bought a few bottles of Bordeaux there one Christmas that were about US$8 a bottle and it was quite drinkable. After the second glas it all tastes the same any way.

I saw the punters at a wine festival (yeah, yeah, in Oz) once and when they arrived they were doing things like holding it up the light and saying things like (absolutely, you can pick the southern end of the vine yard every time" and come evening were laying on the lawn swilling it straight out of the flagon.

Just reminded me of the Classic Monty Python "Australian Table Wines" Sketch

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity, as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palette, but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

"Black Stump Bordeaux" is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good "Sydney Syrup" can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

"Chateau Bleu", too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

"Old Smokey, 1968" has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly recommends a 1970 "Coq du Rod Laver", which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: 8 bottles of this, and you're really finished -- at the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is "Perth Pink". This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!. This is not a wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is "Melbourne Old-and-Yellow", which is particularly heavy, and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of "Chateau Chunder", which is an Appelachian controle, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation -- a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a "Hobart Muddy", and a prize winning "Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga", which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

Please excuse my Pythonesque Moment

Archived