wine for expats?

FAT_AUSSIE

If you drink wine- red, white or any where a:do you prefer it come from and b: where do you buy it?

Is the internet ok for buying wine? anyone done this? I was thinking that with something like wine, postage and handling would be a bit suspect? anyone get thier wine in Thailand or elsewhere via the net?

FA...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

i like oz wine, jacobs creek (wine buffs may scoff??) costs twice as much in the supermarket in the mall, nang wang wong as it does in our local spar shop where its travelled twice as far :: :: , when we're in los we stock up for the month, the mrs chills red wine :: (no way am i carting 10 bottles from the uk again, my arms nearly fell off last time!)

Just red wine for me, thanks, and just how I drink in Thailand (in Sweden I'm drinking, french and italiians and sometimes Faustino I (Rioja Gran Riserva)):

a) australian or californian wine

B) Best Supermarket, North Pattaya Rd, Pattaya (as it's on the north side it's actually Naklua)

OP,

I would think having wine shiped to you would be expensove as hell figuring the shipping and import taxes/bribes, not to mention possibly being illeagle (I have no real idea on this). There is a decent wine shop in the Soi 3 Nana Shopping mall (corner of Soi 3 and Sukhumvit), and the Wine shop at Emporium (might be part of the Oriental shop?) Near the food court area up stairs. Villa also has a decent selection, and foodland might have something in you line...

The Bonking Baron is always pimping the Bangkok Wine Society. As I recall they have a web page, and have frequent tastings of Thai wines. I have not been to a tasing, but it might be a good opportunity to try something new.

While many Thai wines are pretty lousy, there are a couple that are pretty palatable ... notably the Chateau Loei Chenin Blanc Extra Dry, and the Monsoon Red Table Wine. Both sell for between 300 and 400 baht, and go pretty well with Thai food. Give em a try!

I usually check for sales at Lotus and Carre Four.

The Auzzie reds are excellent! I will splurge and go for a bottle of Penfolds. Very good. Back in the USA I can get them at Trader Joe's.

This week is was a red wine from Chile, as Lotus had a 2 for 1 sale.

I am always up for an Italian red wine, as I lived/worked in Italy for three years...I went to Italy as a drunk and came back a wino!!!

White wine is OK for me but must be a dry wine.

Archived