• Last Reply

A prgressive rate as follows:

first B50K = Exempt, then

next B50K - 100K = 5%, then

next B100K - 500K = 10%, then

next B500K - 1M = 20%, then

next B1M - 4M = 30%, and

anything over B4M = 37%

Not many deductions. B30K for you, B30K for your spouse, B15K for each kid up to a max of three; charitable deductions up to 10% of income at face value. That's about it.

EDIT: But if it is a proper expat package for a decent upper managerial job, then a negotiation point is that the local company pays your taxes. All of my positions were as such. But I have been self-employed for four years, so that perk may have dried up. :dunno:

You also need to look at compensation structure (% to housing and % to salary for example) to minimize your US tax burden.

Cheers,

SD

Have you been an expat before? If not, there are a lot of gotchas. PM me with some more details and I can give some negotiation tips. Or consult with a tax attorney with a background in expat issues (that last bit is most important and generally hard to find in your home country).

Cheers,

SD

It also depends on if you are working for a Thai Company or a Multinational. In my position I am employed by the Regional office in Singapore and "on assignment" to Thailand Operations.

In Thailand I am paid 50,000 Baht / month living allowance which is tax free and the actualy salary is paid out of Singapore where I have no tax liabilities to my offshore account in Isle of Man.

As far as Tax Excemption in home country is concerned I can only state what applies to the UK where I am from, in 1988 when I started working overseas I went to the local Tax Office and simply filled in the paperwork declaring myself "Non-UK Resident". The only downside was that my private pension was frozen since under UK law Non-UK residents cannot have a private pension in the country, but I managed to find better alternatives.

Good Luck

longwoodguy74 said:

Thanks for the info. I've worked as an expat in several different asian countries before. I'm less familiar with the tax laws in thailand. It is with a multi-national. cheers, LWG

If with a Multi-National then you should be able to play it the same as my deal, sign contract / work for an office in a country where you don't have tax liabilities and be seconded to Thailand.

As ND points out, Housing and Car allowance are Tax free, and the 50K / month I get is just that tax free per diem paid monthly, I don't know what the maximum is or maybe each company negotiates its own levels with BOI.

A good tax deduction which is often over looked by ex pats here is an investmnet into a Long Term Equity Fund.

You can only put up to Bt300K per year (but may go up to 500K) but it is 100% deductable against income tax.

Also charity donations are good. My gf and her family gives to a temple but the head monk gave a receipt in my name. It too is 100% deductable.

There is an excel file you can download that you input your salary and deductions and it work out your tax for you. I can't find the link but i think it is some where on this site

http://www.aberdeen-asset.co.th/aam.nsf/thailand/home

MSB

Archived