Protesters Blocking The Sukhumvit-Taksin get Out!

Orangutan

Just had a call from a friend who is at the Phrom Phong BTS station. He says people are blocking Sukhumvit Rd. Chanting Taksin get out! He said it's a mess, buses and cars trying to turn around. I tried to ask him how many people were in the street, but there was so much noise around him that he could not hear me.

*just saw coverage on CNN. Looked like a few thousand protesters.

-OT

Lots of coppers on station at the rally, but mostly they either a) stood around looking bored or B) they stood around looking important. No interference, nor any need for them to, when I was there.

Interesting to note that the Emporium had an army (literally, musta been over 100 of 'em) of young men in black suits with black ties standing about looking menacing (had some pix, but cannot get them out of my camera :( ). They were not really needed either, but the extra police and the barricades probably assisted in keeping the non-violent people from changing their minds.

No obvious military presence at the rally.

Cheers,

SD

I am told that, to date, the police and other security personnel have been told not to carry loaded weapons. (In prior "altercations", it was the government forces that fired first, and efforts and apparantly being made to prevent this from happening again.) I don't know whether this is actually happening in practice because I have made a point of avoiding the protesters or mob (depending upon your point of view).

But if you happen to see solidiers or other security personnel with rifles that appear to be loaded, I suggest a quick exit, because that is a good sign that things that things could quickly turn very violent.

' thought the Eden Club opened at 16:00 hrs?'

i was chucked out at 12:35 as the Girls were having lunch before opening and told to come back at 13:00.

i wasn't even looking for any action,just wanted to have a little chat with Marc about something which would have taken all of 3 Minutes.

Archived