Pocket picked at Juatchak

dddave

I didn't know my wallet was gone until I went to pay for an item last Sunday at Jatuchak Market. Looking back, I realize just how easy I made it for the Fagan. I was wearing "Cargo Shorts" and because the front pockets where I usually keep my wallet were small and tight, I instead dropped the wallet into the large pocket lower on the leg, closed only by a Velcro tabed flap. I'm sure I was spotted in advance making a purchase and probably followed until I was stuck in a crowd in the heavily congested aisles; I never felt a thing.

I used to be more security concious, always taking only one credit card with me when I went out but over time they accumulated in the wallet: I lost them all along with my US drivers license, Skytrain and Subway cards and the usual assortment of notes and business cards. Fortunatly, my Bangkok Bank ATM card will take only a week to replace, my US cards will be a major pain.

When I went to the market offices to report the theft, the lady in charge cheerfully announced that I was the fourth that day and before I had finished my paperwork, yet another woeful couple appeared.

One of the Police on duty said that Jatuchak was second only to Hualampong Station for pickpocket activity. To their credit, there are signs all around the place warning the public of the problem, I just didn't think they were talking to me.

I had just withdrawn B10,000 from an ATM; "Fingers" had a very good day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To their credit, there are signs all around the place warning the public of the problem

great aid for the pickpockets, when you see the sign you touch where you keep your money tipping them off

always take the bare minimum you need in cash or cards, and keep them in shirt pocket . i had my wallet taken in a similar fashion on the floating pontoon as i hopped onto the chayophrya express boat.

i felt it go looked round fast and saw my wallet being passed from hand to hand in the gang. they were all on the boat ! the little rat that took it fled along the boat into the crowd and me and my gal chased him ,but when we caught him he had nothing on him. The driver stopped the boat in midriver and there was panic and alarm amongst the passengers as what was going on due to the shouting. This was before mobiles were commonplace so we couldnt arrange for the cops to meet us at the next pontoon. When we finally arrived at he next pontoon the boat emptied fast as the passengers were very alarmed at the goings on . we couldnt be sure who was in the gand but there were a lot of them , i would say 6-7 in the gang.

The escalators at MBK are another hotspot for pickpockets so be carefull there.

I instead dropped the wallet into the large pocket lower on the leg

Exactly the same thing happened to me in the same place, seven years ago. My leg pockets were buttoned down, but they still got my little black book and 1000thb. I've always wondered what they made of the book (names, prices, positions and scores). I hope their sister was in it :)

dddave said:

instead dropped the wallet into the large pocket lower on the leg, closed only by a Velcro tabed flap

Did the same mistake while riding a crowded train in indonesia. Stupid me, I should have known better. Good for me I only lost some 70 Euros but no valuable cards/documents as they were stored more safely.

Yeah, I learned my lesson on the Ramblas Barcelona 20 years ago, got pick-pocketed in similar manner by lady (sic) I got hold of the lady but she passed my wallet to someone else longtime gone in the crowd. These "professionals" rarely work alone :cussing:

Next day in the morning on the same Ramblas saw a guy exerising his dog to run away with wallet he threw to the animal.

Victory Monument used to be a great place for mobile phone thieves! May still be. One of my female colleagues came into to the office one afternoon and showed us that her handbag had been slashed open on the side and her wallet and phone taken. She hadn't even been aware when it happened.

p.s. A Thai once told me to put a lot of elastic/rubber bands around your wallet. Makes it hang up if a thief tries to steal it, letting you know what's happening.

Archived